GMG DB grate temp question/issue

The place to hang out and chat about anything and everything that doesn't fall under our other categories.

GMG DB grate temp question/issue

Postby Vibe » 20 Jul 2015, 19:34

Hey guys,

I have only done quick and not 100% testing condition tests but could anyone let me know if they have done anything similar?

Basically, using my maverick and the on board food probe I have tested area's on the grill to see the temp swings I'm getting.

The controller is always within 1F of the set range then the below image is the difference in temp at the grill. I know I haven't checked many places at 275F, it's getting late so will check more at a later date but 100F off from the controller temp is a lot and will make a major difference. I know generally the chimney front side will likely be the hottest any ways but 100F was more than I expected!

Vibe
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: GMG DB grate temp question/issue

Postby Vibe » 20 Jul 2015, 19:45

Forgot to mention I have both wind deflectors in and up close to the heat deflector part. Chimney fully open.

After pay day or so I will get me a rubber seal for the lid to help.
Vibe
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby JBBQ » 21 Jul 2015, 09:37

Not sure I understand your diagram..

I haven't ever installed the wind deflectors and it is much hotter at the chimney end so I might try them in and see if I get more of an even temperature
JBBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Vibe » 21 Jul 2015, 10:25

You need to click the image to see it fully.

But basically it's the grill/grate. The view is just top down from standing in front of it so the chimney on right side and hopper on left (not shown).

But with that information you can see the right side is hotter near the opening of the lid by 105F when the cooker is set to 275F.

It's an ugly and simplistic diagram but it was late and I couldn't think of a better way to show it without actual pictures.
Vibe
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby JBBQ » 21 Jul 2015, 12:21

Oh OK so the +number is the amount over the stated temperature, and you have tested it @ 275F and 150F?
JBBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Vibe » 21 Jul 2015, 13:24

Yes that's right.

I did 150F in most places but it was getting late when I started on the 275F so I just did the centre and bottom right (Chimney side nearest lid opening) as this area seemed hottest.
Vibe
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby JBBQ » 21 Jul 2015, 16:28

you could try removing one or both of the wind deflectors and see if it makes any difference?
JBBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Vibe » 21 Jul 2015, 18:17

Yeah I plan to try without wind shields also.

Just wondered if anyone else had swings this much and if maybe it was a dodgey controller.
Vibe
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Vibe » 24 Jul 2015, 16:08

Well I was going to do my first 3KG pork butt on this thing tonight at about 11pm overnight but it's pouring down here!

Tomorrow looks clear and I think it rained because it doesn't make sense for me to do my first pork butt on this thing overnight especially when I have temperature issues across the grate, as otherwise it'll be the whole cook as is when I think it will probably need turning each hour unless temps stabilise.

So no one else owning a GMG DB with massive temp differences across the grate? Or at least had this and fixed it.
Vibe
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby tommo666 » 24 Jul 2015, 16:56

Vibe wrote:Well I was going to do my first 3KG pork butt on this thing tonight at about 11pm overnight but it's pouring down here!

Tomorrow looks clear and I think it rained because it doesn't make sense for me to do my first pork butt on this thing overnight especially when I have temperature issues across the grate, as otherwise it'll be the whole cook as is when I think it will probably need turning each hour unless temps stabilise.

So no one else owning a GMG DB with massive temp differences across the grate? Or at least had this and fixed it.

I do have a difference left to right. The right is hotter, i don't know by how much. I keep meaning to test it but haven't got round to it yet. I don't have the deflectors in just the flame diffuser, they're all warped anyway so don't fit right. I cook large meats on the left side near the temp sensor as it will be closer there. I also use a remote thermometer to monitor the pit and food temp.

The most popular deflector set up i've read about is swapping them left for right. Leave an inch gap between the right deflector and the flame diffuser, fit the left as standard. Another suggestion for the left deflector is to fit it horizontally, so just tilt it up till the surface is flat as the flame diffuser, you can lock it in place by pushing them together.
tommo666
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Next

Return to Anything Butt