NE Butcher conversion

The place to hang out and chat about anything and everything that doesn't fall under our other categories.

NE Butcher conversion

Postby Kiska95 » 22 Jul 2015, 17:08

Hi Guy's

Had a very interesting talk to my mate who is a long standing butcher in the North East. For the guys up here it is Martin Baxter butcher of Birtley Tyne & Wear. His son, James is the actor that plays along side David Jason in the new Open all Hours series :D

Anyway I digress; I have been discussing our/my interest in obtaining American cut meat, Packer cut briskets, Pork & Beef ribs Butt, Jacobs ladders etc. from local butchers and he has agreed to buy in some bone in Briskets etc. and experiment with me in obtaining the cuts I want. He is then going to look at the pricing after we get the right cut and pass on the best prices to me/us. He is also considering doing a courier service for those that live further afield if he can get it right. I have a T & G Packer Cut brisket coming next week so I can compare.

I will keep you updated
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Re: NE Butcher conversion

Postby aris » 22 Jul 2015, 22:20

It seems butchers are finally getting a clue. You can't compete with the supermarkets on commodity - find your own niche.
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

NE Butcher conversion

Postby mart61 » 23 Jul 2015, 13:01

Had no problems getting a nice piece of brisket here in Grimsby. http://www.johnpettitbutchers.co.uk/

The butcher bought out the entire brisket and asked how much we wanted.
mart61
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: NE Butcher conversion

Postby Kiska95 » 04 Aug 2015, 16:11

If anyone can tell me how to post pictures I will put them up but its just saying board full?

Well boys I think I may have scored 8 draws with this butcher from Birtley!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been to his shop this morning for a 4 hours education on meat butchery and what a wealth of knowledge and skill this man has!!! It was like Christmas morning for me, I was that excited I felt a "twinge of delight". The man is also a property developer (New Builds) so can afford to take a few chances experimenting with the meat for us.

So Previously on "Butcher Convert"................ Martin the Butcher was to get a Bone in Brisket and butcher it for me to compare with the T & G Packer cut which he though was a bit short. He was also going to price up the brisket to see what he could do for us..................

Now straight off the bat I can see why T & G and all of the others are charging higher prices and that's because of the probable unwanted wasted off cuts (Spicy Texan Beef links would be the answer to those). However Martin brought out the Brisket that had been hanging for me and don't worry I have pictures of the whole procedure so bear with me. The gross weight of the brisket as it stood was 16KG bone in. Now first off he can do this whole brisket for us at around £65.00 (different weights), that works out at just over £4.00 per kilo but he is willing to separate rib Bone out and the plate (all will become evident from the pictures) so you have 3 pieces of meat for your money.If however you just want the packer cut weighing in at around 8.6KG then its at around £7.50 per kilo as he has to get rid of the surplus and bones etc (it costs him £50 to get rid of bones these days) which are of no real value. He is trying to press 2 wholesales for cheaper supply which he will pass on to us if he can get a regular trade. As this one was a one off I don't think he did too badly for establishing a starting point

And that is how you would get them!! By the way the T & G was missing the plate end which he said does have nice meat on it!

Martin can be contacted at 0191 4102101 or 07931 33096 and just mention me Brian he will know. His business is also on Facebook " Martin Baxter Butcher" But if you want the Briskets give a couple of days to get it in for you.

We are now moving on to Boston Butt and Ribs so watch this space but at least one mystery is solved, USDA cuts can be done

Hope this helps boys and girls
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Return to Anything Butt