Tesco 'Flame Academy'

The place to hang out and chat about anything and everything that doesn't fall under our other categories.

Tesco 'Flame Academy'

Postby Clayfish » 29 Jul 2015, 11:17

Has anyone had a look at Tesco's 'Flame Academy'? A site where supposedly you can 'Become a BBQ master'.

I've only looked at two recipes 'Sticky Ribs' and 'How to barbecue a whole chicken', they both say to cook in the oven and 'finish off' on the BBQ! :lol: :lol:

There may be some decent recipes if you look around, but I think I'll stick with the books and websites I already use.

Here's the site : http://realfood.tesco.com/flame-academy.html
Clayfish
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Tesco 'Flame Academy'

Postby Toby » 29 Jul 2015, 18:35

Truly painful, the advanced recipe for sticky ribs is in the oven.
Toby
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby essexsmoker » 29 Jul 2015, 19:22

Lol
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Mj2k » 29 Jul 2015, 20:39

JC wept!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Mj2k
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby narmour » 31 Jul 2015, 07:47

Whilst this is all very funny to those of us who know what we are doing (relatively of course... I have a lot to learn compared to many on here, but relative to the general sausage burning public I consider myself an expert!), you have to remember that Tesco reaches a much wider audience than the BBQ fraternity. And those fair weather, instant light charcoal, burnt on the outside raw on the inside type part timers will be reading the "flame academy" site too. The advice to finish off in the oven is, I would wager, purely to avoid a spike in food poisoning cases all round the UK. These people are never going to be interested in learning how to cook properly over open flame, they see a BBQ as something to soak up the booze on a summer's day (I speak from experience as most of my mates fall into this category). If they avoid food poisoning, all the better.

Of course the wiser stance for Tesco to adopt would be to just stay away from the whole sorry affair...
narmour
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby aris » 31 Jul 2015, 07:57

Finishing off in the oven is something to consider even for the seasoned low-and-slow BBQer. Once what you are cooking has taken up all the smoke and is wrapped in foil (assuming you are wrapping - many do), I don't think it makes much difference what the heat source for the rest of the cook is. Of course, there is little point most of the time - but if you are cooking for a large crowd, and need the rack-space in your smoker for something else, then it can make sense.

For instance, start brisket & pork butt - when it is ready to foil, transfer to oven @225F, then start with ribs in the smoker, when those are ready to foil, put them in the oven, and start with chicken pieces in the smoker.

If you get your timing right, it can work. Might not win any competitions (it is against the rules for one), but you will fill some hungry bellies.
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby gingerchris » 31 Jul 2015, 15:59

Finishing off in the oven isn't what they're suggesting - the Tesco material says start off in the oven and finish on the BBQ. I expect most of our issues with that come from the fact that meat takes on smoke flavour when it's cold...
gingerchris
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Tiny » 31 Jul 2015, 16:41

Now, this may appear a touch hypocritical after my post of love and tolerance with regards to tonights BBQ cook off show.........

This is utter shameless bandwagononnery (new word!) from Tesco, I know it has been done before by respected and trustworthy fat Chef Tom Kerridge, lush, but the Tesco flame academy is weep worthy.

Cook it all in the oven and then stick it on the bbq for 10 minutes isn't bbq, it isn't in the same ball park, and I plagurise it isn't even the same fekkin sport.

I fear this is just the beginning, last night my wife presented me with the "smokehouse burger" from the golden arches......it was err, well a burger, ahem, and there was some sweet BBQ sauce on it, and there was some bacon related something on it......but what made it a smokehouse I am largely unclear.

I am currently enjoying a smokehouse coffee as I type.....well its a cup of coffee anyway, I have simply added the word "smokehouse" to make it appear trendier.

So Subway have their pulled pork sandwich, McD have there smokehouse burger, I think that puts the ball in KFCs court

I think a whole new thread could develop, "its not really Q, its just poo" where Asdas vegetarian pulled pork can start the race, no I am not kidding,

So I suggest that Tesco should put a flame to there own academy, or open the oven door and climb in

Thanks for listening,
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby JBBQ » 31 Jul 2015, 17:08

Hey Tiny KFC are already doing pulled chicken!
JBBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby batvan » 02 Aug 2015, 14:06

Had a chuckle in asda the other day they had pulled duck!
batvan
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Next

Return to Anything Butt