Tesco 'Flame Academy'

The place to hang out and chat about anything and everything that doesn't fall under our other categories.

Re: Tesco 'Flame Academy'

Postby slemps » 03 Aug 2015, 07:38

You know what, I think it's all a good thing.

Sure, there is going to be a load of crap products pop up and people trying to cash in on the trend but, if you can BBQ properly, people will notice the difference.

You'll be seen as some kind of wizard when you pull out a load of perfectly cooked ribs and pulled pork that knock the socks off what they've tried from Asda.

Many foods have gone through this trend. Look at Thai. Everyone suddenly had green curry on their menus and in most cases, it was rubbish. At the other end of the chain, there are some amazing Thai restaurants around. Also, I can now buy fresh Thai ingredients on my small island 8,000 miles away from Thailand.

More awareness is a good thing. It means more charcoal, equipment and BBQ meat cuts in shops and an overall bigger marketplace if you're in the BBQ business.
slemps
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Vibe » 03 Aug 2015, 09:28

A picture says a thousand words...

Vibe
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby narmour » 03 Aug 2015, 13:20

slemps wrote:You know what, I think it's all a good thing.

Sure, there is going to be a load of crap products pop up and people trying to cash in on the trend but, if you can BBQ properly, people will notice the difference.

You'll be seen as some kind of wizard when you pull out a load of perfectly cooked ribs and pulled pork that knock the socks off what they've tried from Asda.

Many foods have gone through this trend. Look at Thai. Everyone suddenly had green curry on their menus and in most cases, it was rubbish. At the other end of the chain, there are some amazing Thai restaurants around. Also, I can now buy fresh Thai ingredients on my small island 8,000 miles away from Thailand.

More awareness is a good thing. It means more charcoal, equipment and BBQ meat cuts in shops and an overall bigger marketplace if you're in the BBQ business.

Have to agree with this.. my pulled pork is by no means perfect and would pale into ordinarity (if that's a word) compared to the offerings that some make on here, but I regularly attract 'best pork ever' comments when I cook. Thanks Subway! you really set the bar low.

Also, wouldn't it be great if we didnt have to mail order off the web for almost everything? supporting local butchers is all very well, but when they work exactly the same hours you do, it's impossible.
narmour
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Clayfish » 04 Aug 2015, 09:30

Bandwagonnery is the word, my guests know I spent all Saturday producing this lot...

Image Image

Pulled Pork with & without Carolina Red Sauce, 2x Rotisserie Chicken, Leg of Lamb with Garlic & Rosemary & Cedar Planked Side of Salmon with lemon & Dill. (+ 6 salads)

...and none of it touched the oven (except the toasted Pecans in one of the salads), I used this lot instead (& the Go Anywhere which is out of shot).

And they loved it!
Clayfish
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby robgunby » 27 Aug 2015, 15:05

Not much to add to what's been said, apart from the name tells you everything that's wrong about this stunt. We all of course know that "flames" are the enemy of barbecue!
robgunby
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Previous

Return to Anything Butt