£300 whats your dream set up?

The place to hang out and chat about anything and everything that doesn't fall under our other categories.

£300 whats your dream set up?

Postby Camboselecta » 10 Aug 2015, 15:52

So youve got £300 to spend on a set up. What is it, and what are you going to cook?
Camboselecta
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: £300 whats your dream set up?

Postby Tiny » 11 Aug 2015, 09:16

Mr Selecta,
Welcome, sadly after years of buying on an budget and throwing away then I would not be getting an dream set up for £300.

I think you can get a bloody good charcoal smoker for that money, an pro Q or an WSM but if down the charcoal route you will also need an chimney starter, a really decent probe thermometer and you will need to buy some decent charcoal for low and slow so I recon this is another £100 all in.

Then if you want to do long cooks most opt for an pit controller eventually so they can sleep.

So all in all I think you are north of £500.

This isn't to say with an decent weber kettle, the chimney and the Decent probe thermo you cant go really well for under £300 but personally wish I would have bought the GMG Daniel boon I have now, yes it cost me the best part of £1k with cover, shelf, and a load of pellets but it turns out fantastic BBQ every time.

So if you want an dream set up I would stretch the budget, but at this time of year get yourself into the big shops like B and Q and homebase and bid the manager on display models.....I got my weber kettle delivered for £49 a few years back.

Cheers
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Camboselecta » 11 Aug 2015, 09:41

Word up Mr T,

Very interesting! I was looking at a Landmann grand Tennessee but after searching Landmann on this forum Ive had second thoughts. :shock: I hadnt even found GMG's. Your one is sick! Did you get it with wifi? I need that in my life...although is it a little bit like cheating? haha. Personally I think Ill struggle with a bullet as I do larger bits of meat, I do suckling pigs on my charcoal bbq now with a battery operated spit so I reckon i need large flat grill with a fire box. Do you know where to get the GMG's in the UK?
Camboselecta
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby Scantily » 11 Aug 2015, 11:58

I agree with Tiny, for £300 you're a long way off a dream set up.

I'm now very happy with what i have and mine has probably cost £7-800, and wouldn't be able to improve it without spending significant amounts of money.

WSM 47cm
Gasket kit
Cajun Bandit door & latch.
BBQ Guru cyberQ wifi pit controller, fan & accessories.
Thermapen.
Scantily
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Vibe » 11 Aug 2015, 12:22

GMG's UK distributor is americanbbq.co.uk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vibe
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Camboselecta » 11 Aug 2015, 12:42

Good stuff Scant and thanks for the link Vibe. I like the look of the Davy Crockett with wifi although it might be a touch small? I have read that pellets in the UK burn faster than the US equivalent, is that right?

Looks like £300 isnt enough then....Ill let the wife know! haha
Camboselecta
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby Tiny » 11 Aug 2015, 14:45

Bo Selecta,
Indeed I did get the wifi enabled version, this is mainly because I am blind and using wifi I can control my pit from my iPhone using voiceover.

Am delighted with the DB it has a sizeable grill area and you could do 4-6 chickens depending on size.

The pellets I use are all imported from the US so should burn at the same rate save for any difference in outside temp. Have tried all the GMG ones and love the gold and the fruit blend, and have also tried the single woods from Lumberjack, all seem much of a muchness but cherry very good for mild smokes.

Many will say that a pellet smoker is cheating, and I would probably agree but for me I have churned out everything on it so far and it has all been spectacular good eating, and for me this is what counts most.

A word indeed to your maternal parent,
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Vibe » 11 Aug 2015, 16:03

Tiny,

Quick question on pellets - what do you use most frequently and where do you buy them from? I'm in need of buying some more soon and wondered where to buy them from or just stick with americanbbq.co.uk

Cheers and sorry for mini hijack!
Vibe
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Tiny » 11 Aug 2015, 17:24

Vibe,
I use the good people at American BBQ co, last time I realised they will let you mix and match. I wanted to try some single blends so I had 1bag of cherry 1 of oak and one of mesquite from the lumberjack range. Next time I will go back to GMG pellets and order 1 bag of Hickory Gold and one of Fruitwood. The only other vendor I have come across is Liverpool wood pellets, there lil devil range looks good value and some on here have used and speak highly but not tried them myself......for some reason Mrs Tiny is getting uppity about the c100lbs of pellets in the dining room.....
Cheers
Tiny
PS if I had to pick just one its the GMG hickory gold...
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Vibe » 11 Aug 2015, 17:43

I've only tried premium gold and fruitwood. I guess you meant premium gold when you say hickory gold? Because the only other one they do is Texas one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vibe
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Next

Return to Anything Butt