Holidaying with GMG Davy Crockett

The place to hang out and chat about anything and everything that doesn't fall under our other categories.

Re: Holidaying with GMG Davy Crockett

Postby Chris__M » 14 Sep 2015, 14:50

I have a Kamado, which I bought just before my original Traeger. To my shame, it hardly gets used, because it is so easy simply to flick the switch on the Pellet Grill.

My Traeger is currently without a controller - I simply have everything hard-wired, so when it is on, it is always on. This was meant as a temporary measure, but the Davy Crocket has proved so easy and flexible to use - and can take two pork shoulders - that I am leaving the Traeger as it is, for now, as a hot grill (burgers and sausages), and - with a pizza stone - a pizza and bread oven. All my slow cooking I am doing on the DC, and loving it.
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby aris » 14 Sep 2015, 17:15

How many racks of ribs can you fit in a Davy Crockett?
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby essexsmoker » 14 Sep 2015, 20:19

Chris__M wrote:
essexsmoker wrote:Is it simple enough to fix or hasbit got to go back?

Once I knew what the problem was, it was easy to fix. Simply take the base plate off the electronics and push all the wire joints together.

I am guessing things jiggled loose on the drive down to Devon, but not completely loose, as the grill functioned fine until the last day we tried to use it.

What was frustrating was not knowing what error "E10" meant. Had we known, we would have probably fixed it on the day.

Do they not have an error code section in a manual?
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Chris__M » 14 Sep 2015, 21:45

essexsmoker wrote:Do they not have an error code section in a manual?

The manual is a folded A4 (so 4 A5 sides) laminated sheet. It does actually contain all the info you need to operate the grill, but it lists only 6 error codes. A couple more codes are detailed in the website FAQ, but not this one; and I know of at least one other code that isn't on the list.

When we ran into this on holiday, I had 3 different net-savvy people all searching for something on GMG's site or the web in general, and we couldn't find it.
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Chris__M » 14 Sep 2015, 21:50

aris wrote:How many racks of ribs can you fit in a Davy Crockett?

I have to admit, I don't know, cos I don't do ribs.* :oops:

As delivered, it only has the one level - no shelf, so I would guess just one large rack, lying down. However, I know you can get racks for racks to stand in, so that would probably increase the number

*Not completely true, as I don't mind beef short ribs. But I am not really one for chewing things off a bone.
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Chris__M » 14 Sep 2015, 21:59

Further to my earlier post, here is a blog by someone else, talking about ribs on the Davy Crockett - that will give you an idea of how they work out. He was smoking 3 racks, in a rack, but it looks like he could have fitted in more.

http://olddavespo-farm.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... ckett.html
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby essexsmoker » 16 Sep 2015, 09:45

Thanks for link. Gives an idea.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby essexsmoker » 17 Sep 2015, 08:54

I've asked my wife to get everyone to club together for my Crippy and birthday. Fingers crossed.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Previous

Return to Anything Butt