Cheap beef joints at Lidl/Tesco

The place to hang out and chat about anything and everything that doesn't fall under our other categories.

Re: Cheap beef joints at Lidl/Tesco

Postby Vibe » 12 Oct 2015, 12:26

Ok so I learnt the hard way after spending £20 on 2 cheap Lidl joints of beef.

I Injected both with beef broth but still crap - no fat inside the meat so it just dried. So English beef joints for roasting must I guess be cooked hot and fast like the instructions or similar.

I think i'll next look into Chuck roasts but maybe not the easier to ask a local butcher for.

Has anyone any experience with Chuck Roasts in the UK and are they as marbled/fatty as the US ones? Could I treat it just like a pork shoulder in the way that the US do?

My problem with Brisket is that it isn't cheap if you want a flat just to do a roast for 3/4 people and it's not something I want to keep freezing down - I don't mind making massive pork shoulders and freezing/re-heating them but with Beef I just want to make enough.
Vibe
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 12 Oct 2015, 13:21

I've done a chuck roast and it was ok. A bit under done. Fat and CT was a bit variable. The fatty bits were really good and soft and moist. Really good with the juices on.
I don't think any UK meat will be like US stuff because it's not grain fed. Sure their will be exceptions but you will pay for it. By then you might as well have got the posh cuts from TH or TG.

I've done the cheap cuts and for the most part it doesn't work. Chuck I will persevere with and try out fully. Only done it once.

I'll stick with pork shoulders and occasionally treat myself to a good bit of beef.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Vibe » 12 Oct 2015, 13:42

Might have to find someone local to me and start doing joint orders. Like £50 each to cover the £100 to avoid extra £15 delivery charge.

Anyone near Bicester, Oxfordshire?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vibe
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby narmour » 14 Oct 2015, 08:57

Vibe wrote:Might have to find someone local to me and start doing joint orders. Like £50 each to cover the £100 to avoid extra £15 delivery charge.

Anyone near Bicester, Oxfordshire?

Or just get yourself a chest freezer...
narmour
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 14 Oct 2015, 09:55

That's what I hope to do for exactly that reason. Get a chest freezer and buy from TH or TG.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Vibe » 14 Oct 2015, 10:26

Unfortunately i'm unable to get a freezer. If I had my own place i'd do this.

As it stands i'm trying to get permission to get a 2nd fridge for just myself so then I can use this for all my smoked foods.

With my own fridge i'd then be able to try bacon and also then continue to smoke cheese as my brother won't allow me to leave uncovered smoked foods in the fridge or take up too much room with anything for an extended period of time.

A 2nd freezer for just myself would be amazing, but no space for it and even if there was i'd have to negotiate it with him :/

I need my own place! I'd have myself a full outdoor kitchen area covered!
Vibe
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 14 Oct 2015, 12:44

Bummer. Not a lot of choice then.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby gavinbbq » 14 Oct 2015, 19:25

Hi Vibe
I'm from the other side of Oxfordshire in Didcot and I would recommend that you give Meatmaster in Botley a visit. Pretty good meat and good prices.

gavinbbq
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Vibe » 14 Oct 2015, 19:58

Thanks Gavin.

Their website doesn't really show much in the way of BBQ meats. Like brisket, pork shoulder (bone-in), chuck roast, beef ribs etc.

Does this mean they don't sell this stuff or is their website just a small selection of what they offer?
Vibe
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Cheap beef joints at Lidl/Tesco

Postby gavinbbq » 14 Oct 2015, 20:43

Just a small selection. They have a great selection, out in the back section which is a walk in fridge that the public can go in, they have whole Irish briskets and also whole pork bellys which you could get them to cut you some spare ribs out of also whole Opel shoulders pigs cheeks ox cheeks etc. Next time I go there I'll take some pics and pm to you.
Also just around the corner is Haymans Fish market which is also a really decent.

Also last time I ordered from Turner and George I think they were offering free delivery on Tuesday and Wednesday.
gavinbbq
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

PreviousNext

Return to Anything Butt