Cheap beef joints at Lidl/Tesco

The place to hang out and chat about anything and everything that doesn't fall under our other categories.

Re: Cheap beef joints at Lidl/Tesco

Postby noxskuses » 21 Oct 2015, 08:45

I always grab a few 'roasting beef' joints when they are going cheap from Lidl's or Morrisons (My local supermarkets), but as they are so lean I always cook them using my Texas wood mix (Oak, Pecan & Mesquite) at 150°C until the centre reads 50°C (I like it rare). Wrap & rest for 30 minutes in a warm place before serving. I rub the beef all over with olive oil first, then with a rub made from sea salt, lots of freshly ground mixed peppercorns (including some allspice), brown sugar & garlic powder & spritz every 30 minutes with a beer, worcester sauce & bourbon mix.
Yum :D
noxskuses
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby aris » 21 Oct 2015, 09:22

Those beef joints can be good eating. Yes, very lean though. Typically they are silverside, topside, or top rump. The top rump ones can often make OK eating just cooked medium-rare as a steak. The silverside/topside make excellent biltong :)
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby essexsmoker » 21 Oct 2015, 11:43

They are great for doing as a roast but not suitable for pulling low and slow really.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Previous

Return to Anything Butt