Pulled pork with supermarket joint

The place to hang out and chat about anything and everything that doesn't fall under our other categories.

Pulled pork with supermarket joint

Postby Altissimus » 07 May 2016, 20:38

Hi guys,

Running a small barbecue tomorrow for a small group (6 of us) and thought I'd try a pulled pork. However, with zero planning the best I could get was a "large boneless pork shoulder" from Sainsburys, no bone, and it's basically a rolled joint. Cutting the string and unrolling (as it's air in the middle anyway), it's probably 1-2 inches thick at its thickest point.

Have injected it with a flavour I like (apple juice, maple syrup, cider vinegar) and rubbed it both sides with a variation on a carolina rub, rolled it back up and chucked it in the fridge to - as Flashheart would say - stew in its own juice.

Question is: how long to cook this for? Assuming a low (100 degrees C) heat, and given its thickness and no bone, what do you think?

Any difference between rolling/unrolling it?

Cheers!

A
Altissimus
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Pulled pork with supermarket joint

Postby Altissimus » 07 May 2016, 20:56

Poss in wrong section...reposted to smokin'.
Altissimus
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Tiny » 08 May 2016, 08:54

Personally I would leave it rolled and cook aiming for 1.5hours per pound. Tesco do a bone in pork shoulder from there Value range which I find very decent for everyday pp.

Good luck Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby essexsmoker » 09 May 2016, 09:41

I think meat allowing I would half roll, this would speed up the cook. Sometimes they are total hack jobs though and you have to roll back up.

I've had the tesco bone in and it worked well.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Return to Anything Butt