Weber Grill Academy

The place to hang out and chat about anything and everything that doesn't fall under our other categories.

Weber Grill Academy

Postby philnewts » 18 Jan 2011, 20:16

Has anyone been to any course days held by the Weber Grill Academy - My wife has offered this to me as a birthday gift and I am interested but would want to get the most out of it.

Comments and reviews welcomed.
philnewts
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Weber Grill Academy

Postby All Weather Griller » 18 Jan 2011, 20:54

I think it's Andy Annat that does those courses. I'm sure he's in this forum and he used to compete under blazing barbecues.

Not seen him on the circuit for a while. Not been on a course but I would guess it's grilling gourmet as that is Andy's forte.
All Weather Griller

Postby philnewts » 18 Jan 2011, 21:01

Yea I saw his site as Weber linked to it, but it looks like they have new Academy members taking the classes- They also have a Smoking specific course.

http://www.blazingbarbecues.co.uk/
philnewts
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby RobinC » 21 Jan 2011, 10:47

What you get out of a Grill Academy course depends on your experience and ability. I’ve been to two now (one Christmas themed).

The format of the days I’ve been on

- Drinks on arrival
- Food prep
- Lighting demo/talk about the various weber bbqs
- Cook food
- Eat food (and drink various wines)

The days are very informal/relaxed and if you are someone who’s experience of BBQs is only cooking sausages and burgers then you will learn a lot.

I found that both courses helped broaden my horizons a bit: particularly in terms of cooking vegetables and baking ie it made me think of the weber kettles more as an oven.

The course is run by Clare Kelly with someone else from weber as well. Like I said what you get out depends on your ability/experience but I did pick up a few tips and some of the recipes have since become family favourites.
RobinC
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Return to Anything Butt