Brisket

The place to hang out and chat about anything and everything that doesn't fall under our other categories.

Re: Brisket

Postby clairbare » 27 Jan 2011, 20:04

when you say seperate - do you litterally cut the joint into 2 pieces? My understanding of meat, cooking, seasoning is very basic lol my hubby (Mr Blue) will second that - he is the true cook in this house, I part cook (not meat) then leave him to add the flavour :oops: :lol:

We do intend to go to the class Toby is organising (we have even booked the childcare in anticipation) and I am sure we will pick up more information then but would you just salt and pepper your brisket if you were doing competition cooking? If not what flavours are the judges after? or is that question just damn right ridiculous to ask :D

So many questions - hope you peeps dont mind :roll:
clairbare
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby Steve » 27 Jan 2011, 20:37

What I mean is that the brisket will be two pieces of meat connected with a really thick fat layer. The larger piece will be flat and there'll be a smaller piece that's more... well pointy, hence the names :lol:

You might have to trim down a bit of the top fat before you can clearly see the two pieces.

I season with quite a bit more than s&p at competitions, I use a blend of brisket rubs and a couple of secret ingredients ;)

If I'm not moving house on the 19th I'll be in Tongham to help Toby out with the class.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Swindon_Ed » 27 Jan 2011, 20:48

Hi Clair,

Here is a link to another website i go on which has a great guide for cooking brisket which i what i followed to cook my brisket last weekend and i was chuffed to bit's with how it turned out.

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beef ... isket.html
Swindon_Ed

Postby joker smoker » 27 Jan 2011, 21:54

Clair, You can always pick up a brisket from me [at wholesale prices] and i will show you the different types of trim you can do. Just call BBQ Shack.
joker smoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby clairbare » 28 Jan 2011, 11:24

Right here is my "brisket" from the butcher - have to say not convinced it is the right slab of meat £18 for a 2.5Kg/5+lb piece of cow

This is it straight out of the bag there is no fat to trim

Anyway we have it now (although John I was a bit too keen and got it before we managed to speak so next time I will be popping down to see you :))

So any suggestions? Cooking times/temps
clairbare
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby clairbare » 28 Jan 2011, 12:17

Also, do you rub this the night before it goes on the smoker or just as it goes on?
clairbare
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby clairbare » 28 Jan 2011, 13:44

He literally cut open the vacpack and that was what it looked like - like he buys it in like that - he said they then cut them and roll them with fat (which i presume is from another part of the cow :))
clairbare
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby All Weather Griller » 28 Jan 2011, 14:16

Was a there a flappy bit (The point) on the back side of that joint Clare?
All Weather Griller

Postby clairbare » 28 Jan 2011, 14:41

no, it was the same both sides
clairbare
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby mcdodge » 28 Jan 2011, 17:49

Perhaps you need to find a new butchers? One that gets in full carcases will serve you needs a lot better than a butcher that is getting stuff pre-cut?

Maybe I'm just lucky round here? All our butchers have carcasses hanging in the back...
mcdodge
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

PreviousNext

Return to Anything Butt