Getting hold of pork ribs

The place to hang out and chat about anything and everything that doesn't fall under our other categories.

Getting hold of pork ribs

Postby garymac » 27 Jan 2011, 11:35

Hi

Was wondering if anyone else has a problem getting hold of racks of ribs. I have family in the states and they can pick them up anywhere but local butchers here look at you as if you are daft.

I do have a Costco local to me and they do stock them but not as keenly priced as I would like.

I am from the NE if anyone has any recommended outlets.

Cheers

Gary

***MODS feel free to move this to another section more appropriate if neccessary**
garymac

Re: Getting hold of pork ribs

Postby mcdodge » 27 Jan 2011, 12:03

Morrisons usually have them, Tesco (if they have a butchers) have them.

My local butchers never have a problem getting them.

What you asking for a the butchers?
mcdodge
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Banjo » 27 Jan 2011, 12:18

Is it the availability or the price that's an issue?

Like Mcdodge says, there are plenty of places here in the Midlands that sell them.
Banjo
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Swindon_Ed » 27 Jan 2011, 12:40

Have you got a Booker near you? They've normally got boxes of whole racks. The last box i bought was £25 but i got 6 and a half racks out of it and they were very meaty.

They do also have some other boxes which are lower in cost but have a bit less meat on them. Although you can still make some great ribs with them.
Swindon_Ed

Postby garymac » 27 Jan 2011, 13:29

mcdodge wrote:Morrisons usually have them, Tesco (if they have a butchers) have them.

My local butchers never have a problem getting them.

What you asking for a the butchers?

Been going to this butchers for years and asked for rack of ribs. Specified either spare or back and was told not the sort of thing as they are more hassle than enough.

Also tried various meat "wholesale" places that are open to the public.

We have a Tesco and Morrisons close so will have a look next time I am in
garymac

Postby garymac » 27 Jan 2011, 13:30

Swindon_Ed wrote:Have you got a Booker near you? They've normally got boxes of whole racks. The last box i bought was £25 but i got 6 and a half racks out of it and they were very meaty.

They do also have some other boxes which are lower in cost but have a bit less meat on them. Although you can still make some great ribs with them.

Cheers there is a branch a couple of miles away and have just texted someone I know who has a card. Will have a look there.
garymac

Postby garymac » 27 Jan 2011, 13:35

Banjo wrote:Is it the availability or the price that's an issue?

Like Mcdodge says, there are plenty of places here in the Midlands that sell them.

Not bothered too much about price, although I don't want to pay over the odds for pork which is a relatively cheap meat.

I have just paid £4.96kg or £2.25lb for some at Costco but they are not that big and are cut into racks aprox 8" long. Good meat content though.

Therte is a chinese wholesaler in Newcastle that sells frozen ones but they have nothing on them
garymac

Postby Eddie » 27 Jan 2011, 15:19

Waitrose do a pack of baby-back ribs for about £2.50p. For the size, their is a good bit of meat on them. I seem to get better value from my local butchers.

Eddie.
Eddie
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby garymac » 28 Jan 2011, 09:17

I think that I need to have firmed words with my butchers. After all the customer is king....or so they say
garymac

Postby Eddie » 28 Jan 2011, 13:20

When you get your ribs, remember to take the membrain off the underside. If you have'nt done this before, their are lots of videos of it on utube..

Happy Cooking

Eddie
Eddie
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Next

Return to Anything Butt