Making Bacon

The place to hang out and chat about anything and everything that doesn't fall under our other categories.

Making Bacon

Postby Banjo » 23 Feb 2011, 11:00

Following on from my post about making sausages, I thought I would share how I make Bacon.

It really is simple. Falling off a log simple. The Simplest simpleton of Simpletown could do this. Its that simple....well, you get the picture :roll:

My piece of belly pork. This cost about £12

Nice and meaty, with a nice sheet of ribs.

Off with the ribs and the skin for cooking later.

Cut up into four pieces, roughly 1kg each

Apply the curing salts. I use a ready made all-in-one cure at the rate of 30g per kg

I then Vac pack it and place in the fridge. If you don't have a vac packer, you can wrap it tightly in clingfilm and place in a zip loc bag. Note: it will produce fluids as the salts extract the water out of the meat. Turn over every couple of days to ensure the salts cover the meat, otherwise leave it alone.
Leave to cure based on thickness – 2 days per ½” thickness + 2 days
I write on when it should be ready. If you go a day or so over its ok, but don’t shorten the time.

When the time is up, I soak the bacon (for that is what it is) for a couple of hours, then pat dry and leave in the fridge for three days to ‘equalise’. Its then sliced and eaten.

The ribs are cooked separately, and the skin turned into pork scratchings.

Nothing wasted, and I end up with about 8lb of Home dry cured bacon which works out at roughly £1.60/lb, PLUS a large sheet of ribs and a bowl full of scratchings. :)

I buy my cure mix from here
Banjo
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Making Bacon

Postby Steve » 23 Feb 2011, 12:12

A great post Frank. I think a lot of people fear curing their own meats thinking it's complicated when it's really not.

My top tip in addition would be that if you have a secondary fridge available in the garage or shed that is not used as an every day fridge then use that. It's best to keep the temperature as stable as possible when curing so leaving it in fridge that isn't being opened for everyday use is good (but not essential)
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Banjo » 23 Feb 2011, 12:32

Steve wrote:A great post Frank. I think a lot of people fear curing their own meats thinking it's complicated when it's really not.

My top tip in addition would be that if you have a secondary fridge available in the garage or shed that is not used as an every day fridge then use that. It's best to keep the temperature as stable as possible when curing so leaving it in fridge that isn't being opened for everyday use is good (but not essential)

Thats my next project...a fridge/curing chamber. I can then move on to making Prosciuto and Chorizo :)
Banjo
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Steve » 23 Feb 2011, 12:46

If all goes well I'll be moving into my first house in March and will have a double garage to convert into my BBQ building. I've already managed to get hold of some spare fridges and freezers for it so I can have a dedicated fridge to sure in if I like :D
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby LM600 » 23 Feb 2011, 19:30

Thanks for this.

I have maded my own snags but always fresh and without cure and have been researching bacon curing for some time with conflicting advice and a no response from the site you got your cure from.

So, again, thanks for the post and the pictures :)
LM600

Postby Banjo » 23 Feb 2011, 20:01

LM600 wrote:..... and a no response from the site you got your cure from.

All I can say is that they are a small company and they can get very busy at times, so give them another chance.

No connection, just a customer who has spent hundreds of pounds with them. Franco (the owner) does try his best :)
Banjo
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Anything Butt