Sous Vide holding!

The place to hang out and chat about anything and everything that doesn't fall under our other categories.

Sous Vide holding!

Postby BoneCandyBBQ » 21 Jul 2016, 09:15

Has anyone got any experience of holding meats at 63c and above in a sous vide?

I've seen the pan side Sous Vide machines on sale so technically a Coolboxes with one of these stuck inside to regulate the water temperature looks on the face of it a good idea.

Wondered if anyone else had any experience of this and how long you can hold for without degradation or effecting the final product

Dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BoneCandyBBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Sous Vide holding!

Postby Mj2k » 25 Jul 2016, 19:10

Interesting, my sous vide is an all in one bit of kit, so can't use it like you suggest, but cannot see it causing any issues or degradation at that temperature. I hold my pork for hours in the oven warmer than that without issue, in fact despite the bark softening, I think more of the fatty elements of the butt dissolve and less picking it out before serving

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Mj2k
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Sous Vide holding!

Postby Chris__M » 13 Aug 2016, 01:49

Just to give you an idea for another sous-vide option. I am using a Codlo

This looks like a 13amp adapter/timer, but what it is is a temperature controller with built in probe.

You plug it into the mains, then plug into it either a slow cooker (set to "HIGH"), or a rice cooker, either of which you use as a water bath. I have found the rice cooker to be the better option, as it has more power, so gets your water to temperature quicker. The probe unwinds, and is simply placed in the water.

I've had excellent results. I will say it is good if you want to play with sous-vide, but are not going to do it regularly. It is a bit more fiddly to set up than a dedicated cooker, but it does mean you haven't got another pot-sized gadget on your top. And because of its size, it can just sit in a drawer when not in use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYMKgUpx0Qs
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Return to Anything Butt