Tom Hixson short ribs

The place to hang out and chat about anything and everything that doesn't fall under our other categories.

Tom Hixson short ribs

Postby rdt123 » 13 Aug 2016, 09:01

Hi all

A very simple question. I've bought these from Tom Hixson and they are I the chest freezer. Most pics of short ribs show bones a few inches long for serving. These are four ribs each with each rib being about 10 inches long. There's too much to cook a full rack but I don't know how well it freezes after
Smoking. Could they be cut while frozen? Not sure how to tackle them. Can post a pic if it help
Rob
rdt123
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Tom Hixson short ribs

Postby Lord Grim » 15 Aug 2016, 07:02

You are going to have a 'mare cutting them frozen with knives, although it can be done (carefully), assuming you are cutting the meat. Forget cutting the bones without a saw, even my cleaver tends to bounce off.
The good news is, they freeze really well after cooking.
I froze four ribs from my last batch in a ziplock bag and used them this weekend in a stew.
I found that once they'd defrosted, they had the consistency of really good corned beef.
Lord Grim
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby ac30 » 16 Aug 2016, 13:46

Your paying big money from there! Do you have a local butcher who can do them? If they get there own body's of beef it shouldn't be an issue.
ac30
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby GingerBen » 17 Aug 2016, 09:00

The TH ribs are awesome, especially if you've got the USDA or Aussie ones, UK ones good too. Cook them all and what you don't eat you can shred up and freeze to make a chili or something else with it.
GingerBen
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 17 Aug 2016, 12:27

In my experience of short ribs, they are so moist and fatty that they should take reheating quite well.
I would cook the lot and freeze.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Return to Anything Butt