A fun weekend

The place to hang out and chat about anything and everything that doesn't fall under our other categories.

Re: A fun weekend

Postby Chris__M » 19 Apr 2011, 13:39

One of the things that I discovered from using the grill in the new position.

When I was just dragging the grill out of the garage, using it, and putting it back, I had it by my kitchen door. This is one of the places I am considering as a permanent location - although it is around the corner from the garden (so away from the "social area"), being next to the kitchen has a certain convenience, especially when doing winter cooks.

The preferred location is where I have put it now, which is by my garage (convenient for power), and actually in the garden.

However, I have discovered that in this position, my Maverick ET73 no longer reaches into my lounge, which is a bit of a blow. Perversely, the el-cheapo "Grill Alert" device I bought before I got my Maverick works absolutely fine.

So that is another thing to consider. I understand that the latest Mavericks have a longer range, but it is an expensive gamble.
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Re: A fun weekend

Postby Chris__M » 19 Apr 2011, 15:13

DrSweetsmoke wrote: Serious? :lol:

Absolutely. I had to hang the Maverick receiver in the window of the conservatory (the next room to my lounge) to even pick up a signal. For a while I suspected the aluminium blinds might be doing something, but even with them up, it didn't improve anything. Meanwhile the "Grill Alert" sat next to my sofa in the lounge, picking up a perfect signal, and keeping the same food temperature to a degree or two of the Maverick (when I could be bothered to go out to the conservatory and check).

It surprised me, as my garden is not *that* big - the distance from the BBQ to my lounge is no more than about 30', and no big brick walls - line of sight through double-glazed windows. When the grill and Maverick was next to my kitchen door (and connecting), it was about half the distance, but then going through a double brick wall, which I would have thought would affect it more.

I'll try it again tomorrow, with new batteries in the Maverick, although I don't think that's it.
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Previous

Return to Anything Butt