Brisket - London

The place to hang out and chat about anything and everything that doesn't fall under our other categories.

Brisket - London

Postby mikeyboibbq17 » 10 Feb 2017, 17:24

hello all, just joined the society, looking to smoke a Brisket this summer (been meaning to do it for years) can anyone help point me in the right direction on obtaining a good source of the meat in and around the London area? i have a Costco by me and they can supply me the meat, but i have been told Smith-fields in central London may also supply.

secondly, i have a gas BBQ which i usually use, but i'm obviously going to buy a kettle bbq and smoke it that way, i've seen plenty of forums and YouTube but there are many many videos, i'm just looking for the simplest way for a first-timer to smoke this lovely cut of beef.

all tips would be greatly appreciated.
mikeyboibbq17
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Brisket - London

Postby Tiny » 12 Feb 2017, 19:04

Welcome chum,
I have read both your posts and would suggest you go the extra mile and buy a Weber kettle, it will last you a lifetime and give you the best chance of not lashing up a £40-50 brisket. BBQ isn't cheap when you factor in charcoal, smoking wood, a decent thermometer and then the kit.

For me brisket is the hardest thing to get right so personally would practice on Value pork shoulders from Tesco, ribs and thighs before going for the big boy brisket, if you already have the others nailed on then accept my apologies.

Good luck and happy Qing
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby mikeyboibbq17 » 13 Feb 2017, 10:41

Hello Tiny,

thanks for the welcome and coming back to me, reading your reply i would say your correct i will just bite the bullet and get a Weber! i found a 2nd hand one to practice on first before i buy a new one!

do you have any tips on trying out on the pork?

your help is greatly appreciated.
mikeyboibbq17
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby Pompey Dinlo » 13 Feb 2017, 16:40

If you're in London then you're lucky enough to be able to visit Smithfield easily. I would suggest going early and paying a visit to Tom Hisxon there, he has a selection of Australian and American brisket, grain fed so good marbling and they are sold at substantially cheaper prices than their online shop. I pay wholesale prices which are pretty good yet the Smithfield prices are supposed to be even cheaper. At those prices I wouldn't mind if I messed up, there's always a chilli to be made from unsuccessful brisket.
Pompey Dinlo
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby mikeyboibbq17 » 22 Feb 2017, 21:34

Pompey Dinlo wrote:If you're in London then you're lucky enough to be able to visit Smithfield easily. I would suggest going early and paying a visit to Tom Hisxon there, he has a selection of Australian and American brisket, grain fed so good marbling and they are sold at substantially cheaper prices than their online shop. I pay wholesale prices which are pretty good yet the Smithfield prices are supposed to be even cheaper. At those prices I wouldn't mind if I messed up, there's always a chilli to be made from unsuccessful brisket.

Thanks Pompey,

Have not been Smithfield in years so should if thought of them first! How much did you pay for a brisket?

I visited Costco and they will trim a packer for me an will cost around £18-£25 depending on weight so will be grabbing one in the next few weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mikeyboibbq17
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Return to Anything Butt