Make your own Charcoal ?

The place to hang out and chat about anything and everything that doesn't fall under our other categories.

Make your own Charcoal ?

Postby Smokingwoodman » 13 Nov 2009, 21:03

I'm flirting with the idea of getting a charcoal burner for my wood between Andover and Newbury on the Hants/Wiltshire border.

I'm told it isn't rocket science to coin a cliche to make your own charcoal but you get a bit on the charcoally coloured side and need to spend long hours feeding it.

I have large amounts of hazel I need to coppice which I'm told is the stuff to use to make decent charcoal.

If I ever got it together and sourced a burner and got some stock in I would throw it open to the society to bring a BBQ or two some beer and make their own charcoal over a weekend.

Me thinks a bit more of a summer job though, eh !
Smokingwoodman
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Make your own Charcoal ?

Postby British BBQ Society » 13 Nov 2009, 21:25

Quite the opposite, i think now is the best time to make it (ready for summer). I seem to remember from school a corrugated round pit with a lid on, with a solid roof, throw the wood in and leave the "simmer" no need to feed. Would love a source of natural charcoal.
Toby
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dsorgnzd » 14 Nov 2009, 14:18

Here's one method: http://www.twinoaksforge.com/BLADSMITHI ... ARCOAL.htm

which uses the volatiles that gas off the wood as additional fuel to heat the whole process.
Dsorgnzd
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby Smokingwoodman » 14 Nov 2009, 18:03

You wouldn't want to be out in the playing with matches in the wood the way the weather was yeserday Toby but you have a point.

Interesting the American article and very clearly laid out with the various steps. However I'm told one of the problems is that the metal containers burn out quite quickly due to the intense heat in the process so old drums are not going to last long.

I'm unlikely to find the time/energy/skill to knock one together myself but if any of you kids do want to try that at home you can have some hazel f-o-c.

I'm in the early stages of applying for a woodland grant to improve/expand the wood business. Of course there are several hurdles to jump through including the provision of a woodland management plan followed by a business plan. I can't start the first until the Forestry Commission geezer comes over and the earliest he can come is 15th December.

I am not allowed to purchase or start work on anything until the grant is approved but all info on charcoal making particularly the burner would be helpful and interesting.
Smokingwoodman
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Smokingwoodman » 02 Dec 2009, 19:46

If anyone wants to learn how to make Charcoal there is apparently a course planned at Beaulieu in the New Forest on the weekend of 6-7th March 2010.

No further details yet or what the cost is but will post when I find out.
Smokingwoodman
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Steve » 02 Dec 2009, 21:35

I'm very interested in that.

Please do post more details when you find them.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Smokingwoodman » 16 Dec 2009, 19:36

I am in negotiations to get a charcoal oven and an instructor to the wood in the spring.. members could have jolly there, learn how to make some charcoal. Will have to pay the instructor but depending on how many came £10 -£20 would probably be the price and some take away BBQ charcoal made with their own fair/blackened hands.

I'll post a new strand when I have something sorted - date to suits members but maybe around Easter.

It could be a warm up for the May competition.

Paul
Smokingwoodman
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Steve » 16 Dec 2009, 20:04

I'm 90% certain I'll be there if you do it. The only thing that'll stop me is if wifey arranges something I can't get out of.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Anything Butt