First smoke on proq frontier

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

First smoke on proq frontier

Postby Johnboy » 07 Aug 2011, 17:13

Well after my lovely mrs got me a pro q for my birthday I set about my first mission. I got a 12lb pork but ( or at least what my butcher thought was a pork butt) and after finishing my job as a doorman I started the smoke at 2am after 16 hours the pork was at 195f so was removed to let rest. In which time I had to over come rain and high winds!! The frontier held a temp of 230 constantly with little need to adjust the vents also did the whole cook on just one refill of briquettes. The pork pulled perfectly and tasted amazin. Im very happy at how well the unit performed, I now have the bug bad and can't wate for the next cook. Only thing I would change is to use slightly less wood Chips as smoke was just a bit overwhelming. Pics will come when I work out how to do them. Regards John
Johnboy
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: First smoke on proq frontier

Postby JEC » 07 Aug 2011, 17:42

Sounds like a cracking first cook especially given today's summer weather
JEC

Postby Johnboy » 07 Aug 2011, 17:48

Yes I had to use a parasol to stop it getting soaked but to be fair it coped very well. Only thing I'm unsure on is the cut of meat had the back bone in and a few ribs as well as the blade it cost just under £20 for 12lb either way it was good and happy to get the same thing again just not sure if it was the " butt" will try and get the pics on so the cut can be seen
Johnboy
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby Eddie » 07 Aug 2011, 18:06

Please see PM that I have sent you.

Regards

Eddie.
Eddie
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby LM600 » 07 Aug 2011, 18:53

Nice one Mate!

What charcoal / wood did you use? I only ask as, if I use briquettes, I find a rather chemical, overbearing taste comes through no matter what wood I throw on.

If I use lump charcoal then, I find, this burns cleaner and allows the smouldering smokey goodness to come through.
LM600

Postby Johnboy » 07 Aug 2011, 20:05

I got a bag of briquettes from a local managacture in Devon recommended by hotsmoked I can get restaurant grade lump from macro for £9 for 12kg this I what I use on my kettle BBQ when grilling I'd happily use it for the smoker but wasn't sure how long it would burn for and as I was leaving it when I was sleeping I chose the briquette. If I use lump do I use the same minion method? I'm very new to low and slow sonny tips would be greatly appreciated
Johnboy
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby JEC » 08 Aug 2011, 06:11

Are you sure you mean local briquettes as hotsmoked only stocks bulworthy natural lumpwood charcoal which is advertised as local? Did you get a bag of the Supagrill Cocoshell briquettes, if so these are really good and an excellent choice for both grilling and smoking. Yes you do use lump in the sameway for smoking, most people will argue that it's more suited to the minion method as it burns cleaner, personally I'm happy with both quality briquettes or lumpwood.
JEC

Postby Impeed » 13 Aug 2011, 13:42

Hi John,

Took delivery of a frontier a few weeks go and its been used every weekend since. First a couple of chickens in a cajan rub, then last week a rack of pork ribs again cajan rub but then basted in a cobbled together bbq sauce, remains of a bottle of jack daniels sauce with some blairs after death chilli suce and some ketchup thrown in for bulk.

Tomorrow its going to be a boned shoulder of lamb, marinading now in harissa rosemary garlik and olive oil.
I know bone in might have been better but the butcher had already started boneing it before I could say anything and didnt want to upset a man weilding a big sharp knife.

Anyway great choice of BBQ, I dont know how we survived without one for so many years.
Impeed
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)