Join a BBQ Team

All the latest from barbecue organisations/ organisers and manufactures in the UK, if anything has been missed fell free to chip in!

Join a BBQ Team

Postby British BBQ Society » 31 Aug 2011, 17:09

Hi everyone,

I am working on several new sites and ideas over the next few weeks and would value your opinions as they get close to completion. If you can spare a few minutes please have a look at http://www.joinabbqteam.co.uk and let me know what you think about 1, the concept and 2, what changes you would make.

Thanks

Toby
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Join a BBQ Team

Postby JEC » 31 Aug 2011, 19:37

I really like the concept of trying out competition cooking but I really don't like the price and I'm not too sure many others would, would you mind explaining this a little more, will the profits be going to the society to reduce entrance costs for example? Given that this is about promoting BBQ in the UK would it not be better to ask teams if they were willing to take a rookie in exchange for a reduction in cost (which the rookie would cover) or maybe a handicap system for points?

I am really keen on the section on hosting an event as I would love to get you folks down to North Devon, maybe as part of a local show, I know a few people who organise the North Devon Show and it would be fantastic to get some real BBQ there
JEC

Postby British BBQ Society » 31 Aug 2011, 19:51

Thanks for the input. Everything does come down to the pennies. It costs me about 40k per year to run the society and there is no income. To setup a competition team will cost in the region of £1,000 then you have the entry fee, meat, electric hookup and other items required for each comp, say another £270. This is actually a combination of BBQ class and competition which I think justifies the price. Some people will always balk at it initially until they see what it would cost to go it alone, and of course its a gamble you may spend the money and hate it.

The sanctioning side has always been there, I just need to add it to all of our sites which will be done soon.

Cheers

Toby
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chris__M » 01 Sep 2011, 00:54

I have been on a few cookery courses (conventional cooking, not BBQ), and in comparison, I would say 200 quid for a weekend experience is actually a good price, *provided* it does give a chance to learn, rather than simply be that team's bitch for the weekend. :lol:

I would say that is the thing you will need to watch carefully, as good intentions can sometimes be swept aside in the heat of competition. So I do think any team taking paying guests needs to make sure they are just as focused on teaching, as on winning the comp. Of course, if they can do both, so much the better, but if someone is paying money, they need to get a fair crack of the whip.
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Chris__M » 01 Sep 2011, 00:59

Further to my previous comment.

JEC - as you are in Devon, are you familiar at all with Ashburton Cookery School?

I've done a couple of courses down there, and really enjoyed myself each time. Nice people, and excellent kitchens for teaching. I'd recommend them every time for anyone wishing to expand their cooking skills, no matter what their level.
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby British BBQ Society » 01 Sep 2011, 06:07

All good feedback, I will need to work on the text. The concept has been taken from a friend in the states that runs a team but doesn’t have any help so everyone on his team has paid for the opportunity. The team that they will be joining has been created just for training purposes, i think the problems you mentioned could arise if the team they joined was a serious contender throughout the year. This is designed so that those that paid for the experience would be hands on in every aspect, trimming, rubbing, smoking, presentation etc. Not just washing up and water carriers. The team would be overseen by a single pitmaster, so in essence its their team. Does that make more sense?
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby clairbare » 01 Sep 2011, 09:07

From reading the "what's included" section for the UK comp it sounds like you are charging £200 per team of up to 4 people, is this right? In that case when you think £50 per person that is a brilliant price to pay for the experience and to give a great insight before deciding whether you wish to put together your own pitmaster team.

I like the idea

Also if you are wanting feedback on the website - in your news section you speak of John Har(r)gate yet the picture is not him, if i was a newbie looking at it, I would think it was him :)

Apart from that i think it's a great concept
clairbare
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby British BBQ Society » 01 Sep 2011, 09:21

It is £200 per person, £50 each wouldnt work as you know from competing, the costs are far higher. I am waiting for the photos from rudgwick to come through then will change the picture on the front page, the site was done a couple of weeks ago and still needs some tweeking, its a work in progress hence asking you guys to batter it! :D
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chris__M » 01 Sep 2011, 09:53

British BBQ Society wrote:All good feedback, I will need to work on the text. The concept has been taken from a friend in the states that runs a team but doesn’t have any help so everyone on his team has paid for the opportunity. The team that they will be joining has been created just for training purposes, i think the problems you mentioned could arise if the team they joined was a serious contender throughout the year. This is designed so that those that paid for the experience would be hands on in every aspect, trimming, rubbing, smoking, presentation etc. Not just washing up and water carriers. The team would be overseen by a single pitmaster, so in essence its their team. Does that make more sense?

Yes it does, and that does sound promising. To be honest, that is what I thought you originally meant, but my comments resulted from JEC's suggestion that existing teams take on novices.

Both approaches have some merits. Yours as a purpose-built team of (changing) novices with a PitMaster, as a paid weekend course; JEC's with existing competition teams taking on short-term apprentices for free (in which case they *should* expect to have to do some gophering, to a certain extent). No reason why both of these shouldn't happen, provided folk don't confuse one for the other.
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby JEC » 01 Sep 2011, 11:59

Maybe a combination of the two would work well, try it for one weekend for free but understand you will be a gopher and then have a fully fledged role as part of trainee team for which you have to pay for the privilege and a chance to share any prize money the team wins
JEC

Next

Return to Barbecue News