Join a BBQ Team

All the latest from barbecue organisations/ organisers and manufactures in the UK, if anything has been missed fell free to chip in!

Re: Join a BBQ Team

Postby British BBQ Society » 02 Sep 2011, 08:54

See this is what makes it all worth while, some will always disagree with the price, for example a competition cooking class will cost you from $400 up in the states and they have about 20 people attending. The feedback has been superb, Chris has nailed the target audience and i appreciate the leads for the agricultural shows, although we have two booked in next year already i just have to manage time well.

If I was to arrange a top pitmaster from the states to cook for a class of upto 20 how much would you all pay? I think it would have to be in the region of £300 to cover the costs. more importantly how many of you would attend?
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby joker smoker » 02 Sep 2011, 09:03

If i had had the chance to spend £200 on a masterclass as a novice i would have easily saved that amount on the money that i spent by learning through trial and error.Though I wouldn't necessarily want £200 to teach somebody I would need to see that the student was serious enough and that would mean that he didn't expect to receive hard earned knowledge without giving something in return. I have many skilled chefs asking for jobs at BBQ Shack so that they can learn the art of smoking meat but I would rather give the job to a novice who would give his all as a sign of his commitment. If I were to teach you for free,what could you offer me, JEC, in return for my time?
joker smoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby joker smoker » 02 Sep 2011, 09:21

Btw ...I would happily pay £300 for a days class with one of the top US cooks
joker smoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Swindon_Ed » 02 Sep 2011, 09:59

joker smoker wrote:Btw ...I would happily pay £300 for a days class with one of the top US cooks

I'd be more than happy to pay £300 for this also.
Swindon_Ed

Postby Steve » 02 Sep 2011, 10:25

If you were talking about someone of the caliber of Rod (Pellet Envy) Tuffy (Cool Smoke) Joe (tippy Canoe) To name a few, then I'd happily drop £300 - £400 for a course.

I've stuck the team names in for those unfamiliar with some of the top US teams in case they want to look them up. I wouldn't pay for a Myron class as I've heard they're not that great. But I suspect you might look to Rod given the fact he's not only the real deal as a pit master, he's a great bloke.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby British BBQ Society » 02 Sep 2011, 10:48

got 3 people in mind, all of the same calibre, would want someone that has experience on lots of types of smokers so that there is something for everyone.
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby joker smoker » 02 Sep 2011, 10:50

So how much are you charging for a lesson in pork Steve? Those last scores were mighty impressive. I'm absolutely in awe!
joker smoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby esselle » 02 Sep 2011, 11:11

I would be in too, but as Steve said depending upon the calibre.
I had a similar idea but don't know if it would work. Doing the class with a top pitmaster by webcam link, therefore keeping the cost a bit lower and maybe attracting more interest. Just a thought.
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby JEC » 02 Sep 2011, 12:05

Ok so I'm guessing by reading the last few posts the concept has changed from joining a BBQ team to joining a master class, if that's the case then £200 is good value
JEC

Postby British BBQ Society » 02 Sep 2011, 12:10

no it hasnt changed, we are talking about a 4 on 1 ratio which is better value than a masterclass.
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Barbecue News