Join a BBQ Team

All the latest from barbecue organisations/ organisers and manufactures in the UK, if anything has been missed fell free to chip in!

Re: Join a BBQ Team

Postby JEC » 02 Sep 2011, 12:14

From the way I understood your website it was about joining a BbQ team to have a go and learn the ropes, it didn't come across as the chance to join a master class, I'm guessing I just missed that bit.

Good luck, I'll leave you to it with those that know better than me
JEC

Postby British BBQ Society » 02 Sep 2011, 12:26

i guess there will always be those that cant understand the concept, at least the majority do which is the aim with any venture.
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby esselle » 02 Sep 2011, 13:11

JEC wrote:From the way I understood your website it was about joining a BbQ team to have a go and learn the ropes, it didn't come across as the chance to join a master class, I'm guessing I just missed that bit.

Good luck, I'll leave you to it with those that know better than me

There are basically two ideas in the pot.....
Join a team learn the ropes.
Bring a U.S. pitmaster over and attend the class.

Don't suppose Toby is neccesarily thinking of one or the other or has even changed his mind. Both can be acheivable imo. ;)
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby clairbare » 02 Sep 2011, 19:34

I think both ideas are great, the first will help promote bbq in the UK and the 2nd will help advance it, what could go wrong? And if people want to do it and can afford to do it, then why not! And as long as the society does not lose money with the setup of this, then what do you have to lose - go for it Toby, the concept sounds great - if you can just roll it out and see how it does......
clairbare
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby Steve » 03 Sep 2011, 09:10

joker smoker wrote:So how much are you charging for a lesson in pork Steve? Those last scores were mighty impressive. I'm absolutely in awe!

Thanks John, I just hope it wasn't a fluke :D it certainly made up for a bad chicken turn in. All I did was take some of your advice on rubs, a few mods to it then add my own sauce which I seem to have now got to a good standard. You know I'll share with you if you want just give me a call ;)
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Taliesin » 03 Sep 2011, 09:44

My husband would be keen to do this. A few more details about each of the available events would be useful and possibly an example of a typical day (Arrive on Saturday at 9 and meet the team ..... etc.) so that people had a good idea of what to expect. I don't think the cost compares too badly with Weber's Academy which is around £120 a day.
Taliesin
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby British BBQ Society » 03 Sep 2011, 10:02

I would aim to have one at every British BBQ Society sanctioned event in the UK and am currently looking through the diary for the US trips.

The UK events tend to follow the following lines.

Saturday, meat hand-out at approx midday, which gives plenty of time for prep work. Cooking generally starts from 10pm onwards depending on the type of smokers, random checks throughout the night. Hand in boxes preparation early morning. Start ribs at 6am and chicken at 9 - 10. run through box requirements, meat temps and put boxes together for judging between 12 - 2pm presentation is generally about 4pm on the Sunday. Again this is a rough agenda, i will be working on exact details in the next few days.
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby esselle » 03 Sep 2011, 14:07

British BBQ Society wrote:I would aim to have one at every British BBQ Society sanctioned event in the UK and am currently looking through the diary for the US trips.

The UK events tend to follow the following lines.

Saturday, meat hand-out at approx midday, which gives plenty of time for prep work. Cooking generally starts from 10pm onwards depending on the type of smokers, random checks throughout the night. Hand in boxes preparation early morning. Start ribs at 6am and chicken at 9 - 10. run through box requirements, meat temps and put boxes together for judging between 12 - 2pm presentation is generally about 4pm on the Sunday. Again this is a rough agenda, i will be working on exact details in the next few days.

On that note ...are we (British in general) only allowed one entry to the Jack or could a BBBQS team be arranged to enter that aswell as our series champion in future years? That would be cool if we could.
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby British BBQ Society » 03 Sep 2011, 14:30

I am talking to various people to strengthen our position in the States at the moment. The Jack Daniels position is unlikely to change but i have asked for clarification on other international events which qualify, which I will of course pass on to our teams.

Rest assured there is alot going on in the background which isnt public knowledge and wont be released until everything has been confirmed.

As long as there is continued support from the teams i will be working to better the society and offer more opportunities in the years to come.
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby wade » 04 Sep 2011, 11:42

From the web site home page I too initially thought it looked more like joining a BBQ team in competition rather than taking part in a master class. It is not until you look at the "What is included" page that it became a little clearer but maybe not as clear as it needs to be. It has already been mentioned but I too think there may be two separate levels that needed to be addressed - one more basic class to help to incubate greater interest from curious, and a higher level materclass for the more experienced people who have little or no completion experience who want to progress.
I would certainly pay £200 to attend a masterclass to help prepare for competition cooking but I think this price may be a barrier for people still only developing an interest. If I had not read the exam paper more thoroughly and had kept with my initial impressions from the web site home page then from first impressions I don’t think it would have seemed an attractive event. Great initial work though will look really great when refined.
wade
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

PreviousNext

Return to Barbecue News