Changes to British BBQ Society Compeittions

All the latest from barbecue organisations/ organisers and manufactures in the UK, if anything has been missed fell free to chip in!

Changes to British BBQ Society Compeittions

Postby British BBQ Society » 18 Nov 2011, 09:38

As part of the restructuring that I have been referring to over the last few months the following changes will be taking place.

I have launched the International BBQ Network (IBQN), this is a new sanctioning body which will sanction all of the previously run British BBQ Society events and any other events that wish to join us in 2012.

As part of this new venture, I am in the process of arranging for two top cooks to come over for a whistle stop tour next year. We will have one cooking class in England and 2 in mainland Europe. Prices for the course will be issued once all costs have been worked out.

Next year we will be running two different styles of judging classes. One will be for new judges and the second for any competitors that wish to understand the judging process.

All of our current judges will have their certification moved to IBQN by attending a refresher course. I have also designated several people to act as event ambassadors.

The infrastructure will be in place for our first competition in May.

There will be a few rule changes, such as pork being cooked as one piece being removed. Although cooks can leave a piece of ligament between money muscle and main cut it is impossible to police it without asking everyone to open their cookers, therefore its gone.

I have been waiting for a response from the Jack Daniels after making a proposal to them several months ago about obtaining further places to aid fledgling competitions. While I wait for this response I think it unfair to just sit by and not progress the plans for 2012.

I am sure there will be plenty of questions which I am happy to answer, further information will be issued over the coming weeks.
Thanks

Toby
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Changes to British BBQ Society Compeittions

Postby Eddie » 18 Nov 2011, 11:50

Toby, thanks for the update in the new changes to next years competitions, but why do you have to bring in a new governing body in. I'm all for changed, but why does it have to be re-named ? is it maybe competitions in Europe are being set up and it is why it cannot be named BBBQS anymore ?

Regards

Eddie
Eddie
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby British BBQ Society » 18 Nov 2011, 12:31

Purely because the British BBQ Society is not relevant on an international level. I am using the experience gained over the last 4 years to aid new competitions in the UK and elsewhere should they wish it.

The British BBQ Society is still here, and wont change, ie the comp in May is still a British BBQ Society event, it is just sanctioned by IBQN. The forum remains British BBQ Society, does that help?
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby joker smoker » 18 Nov 2011, 17:39

Will IBQN, like all the other governing bodies, run its own ''World Championship''?
joker smoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby British BBQ Society » 18 Nov 2011, 18:10

i have no interest in that at all, as long as our competitions are seen as qualifying events, and you as the teams get the recognition thats all that matters.
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby clairbare » 18 Nov 2011, 20:10

British BBQ Society wrote:There will be a few rule changes, such as pork being cooked as one piece being removed. Although cooks can leave a piece of ligament between money muscle and main cut it is impossible to police it without asking everyone to open their cookers, therefore its gone.

Could you explain this a little more please Toby??
clairbare
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby British BBQ Society » 18 Nov 2011, 21:47

As things stood, pork had to be cooked as a whole piece, some cooks separate the money muscle to get smoke around the whole piece leaving a small part attached to the main joint. There is no way to make sure people do not separate the money muscle and take the meat out at different times, so therefore its a pointless rule.
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby keith157 » 23 Nov 2011, 06:34

British BBQ Society wrote:...............As part of this new venture, I am in the process of arranging for two top cooks to come over for a whistle stop tour next year. We will have one cooking class in England and 2 in mainland Europe. Prices for the course will be issued once all costs have been worked out. .............Toby

Hi Toby, will this be the only course you will be running? From the sound of it it will only be applicable to those already competing to enhance their skills, and not at the novice or wannabe competitor.

Yours sincerely

Worried of Stevenage
keith157

Postby British BBQ Society » 23 Nov 2011, 08:22

DrSweetsmoke wrote:
British BBQ Society wrote:i have no interest in that at all, as long as our competitions are seen as qualifying events, and you as the teams get the recognition thats all that matters.

What events are not recognizing BBBQS ? I thought KCBS, The Jack and Royal were accepting and BBBQS qualified for them? Is there something I'm missing?

The question was whether we would run our own World championship, my answer to that question was i am not interested in that, I want the teams to take part in the big comps in the states.
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby British BBQ Society » 23 Nov 2011, 08:24

keith157 wrote:
British BBQ Society wrote:...............As part of this new venture, I am in the process of arranging for two top cooks to come over for a whistle stop tour next year. We will have one cooking class in England and 2 in mainland Europe. Prices for the course will be issued once all costs have been worked out. .............Toby

Hi Toby, will this be the only course you will be running? From the sound of it it will only be applicable to those already competing to enhance their skills, and not at the novice or wannabe competitor.

Yours sincerely

Worried of Stevenage

Hi Keith,

I will run beginner classes, but my knowledge and experience is limited so getting top cooks from the states will aid experienced teams who wish to improve or those that want to compete.
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Barbecue News