Opinions please

All the latest from barbecue organisations/ organisers and manufactures in the UK, if anything has been missed fell free to chip in!

Opinions please

Postby Toby » 07 Apr 2012, 16:57

I realise there are quite a few people who would be interested in competing but are unable to do so because of equipment, logistics etc and have been working on a new concept which I would like to run past you and find out if anyone would be interested. This would run and be judged within the PitMasters series.

Basic entry £50
This would give you a 4 x 2m covered space to use as a base and entry to two competition categories.

Entry fee £100
Same as above, but we will provide cool box, table, chairs, chopping board, smoker and fuel.

You would be entering two categories of your choice, and be part of the event. The only difference is you would not be eligible for Grand Champion. Basically the full competition experience, without the headache.

I am sure I could explain it better, hopefully I have got the concept across and would appreciate your opinions. If there is enough interest I would be happy to run this in May.

Cheers

Toby
Toby
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Opinions please

Postby All Weather Griller » 07 Apr 2012, 17:00

Sounds like an interesting concept, almost like an intro to IBQN competitions.

Might even make a good "Red Letter" present.
All Weather Griller

Postby Pooky » 07 Apr 2012, 17:27

Definitely a great idea and would be a good way for those (like myself) who are just starting out and don't yet have the kit or those who are not sure whether competition is their thing to have a taster.

I don't know whether it's something you could tie in or whether it would go down well with other competitors, but you could potentially have an on-hand expert, that wouldn't necessarily be with the people on this deal full-time, but would go around to offer a bit of coaching/help with timings etc. Maybe that's going too far, I don't know or maybe, judging by how friendly and helpful this site is, that kind of happens for beginners anyway.

I'm hoping that by May, I'll have managed to pin down some of this elusive disposable income and will have got myself a smoker, so wont be doing it then, but option 1 could be a possibility later in the year. So yep, overall feeling - a good idea and appealing to a novice such as myself.
Pooky
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby philnewts » 07 Apr 2012, 17:28

I would certainly take up a limited entry to have certain stronger categories judged, whilst I also wish to compete fully I would prefer to be able to do more events and perfect a category over time, at these prices I would also be able to attend more events in the season and try different cooks to improve and learn in a real environment, with judges feedback.

This could be just what I need, stick me firmly in the interested category.

Perhaps £75 for three categories could also be considered, again not including GC entry.
philnewts
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Toby » 07 Apr 2012, 17:43

Pooky wrote:Definitely a great idea and would be a good way for those (like myself) who are just starting out and don't yet have the kit or those who are not sure whether competition is their thing to have a taster.

I don't know whether it's something you could tie in or whether it would go down well with other competitors, but you could potentially have an on-hand expert, that wouldn't necessarily be with the people on this deal full-time, but would go around to offer a bit of coaching/help with timings etc. Maybe that's going too far, I don't know or maybe, judging by how friendly and helpful this site is, that kind of happens for beginners anyway.

I'm hoping that by May, I'll have managed to pin down some of this elusive disposable income and will have got myself a smoker, so wont be doing it then, but option 1 could be a possibility later in the year. So yep, overall feeling - a good idea and appealing to a novice such as myself.

I am always on hand to offer advice, as are 90% of the teams that compete, it is very friendly. if you are thinking about getting a smoker it could also be a good opportunity to try before you buy, for example i have WSM's and Excels here which would be used.

Phil, I think for the moment we would need to stick to 2, just throwing around ideas to find a stress free way for people to have a go. Look forward to hearing more opinions.
Toby
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Steve » 07 Apr 2012, 17:55

I'd be more than happy to spend time with teams to explain how to trim and prep as well as discussing timings and differences between cooking at different temperatures.

I'm quite happy to share everything I know as long as we schedule it to fit in with my cook.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby BadBoyzofBBQ » 07 Apr 2012, 18:12

Fantastic Idea Toby, a great way to get a taster and advice on hand.Deffo an interest
BadBoyzofBBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby keith157 » 07 Apr 2012, 18:31

Sounds like a good idea, would this be in addition to the hoped for tutorial/introduction day or instead of it?
keith157

Postby Toby » 07 Apr 2012, 18:39

keith157 wrote:Sounds like a good idea, would this be in addition to the hoped for tutorial/introduction day or instead of it?

Just throwing ideas around at the moment Keith, hope to run lots of things this year, working on a date for a judging seminar and will have a basics cook class the same weekend. I just know how difficult it is getting into the comp side and would like to be able to offer something to everyone.
Toby
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Saucy Pig » 07 Apr 2012, 22:15

Sounds like a great idea. The competition side of BBQ is something Ive been interested in, but was always kind of overwhelmed, this looks to be the perfect thing to get me started.
Saucy Pig
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Next

Return to Barbecue News