ProQ Maverick Deluxe

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

ProQ Maverick Deluxe

Postby The Social Smokers » 02 Nov 2011, 12:57

Does anybody own one of these grills/smokers? We are thinking of buying one for competition use next year. Would be interested to know what they are like. I currently own a ProQ Frontier but looking for something a little different. Feedback is most welcome.

Matt
The Social Smokers
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: ProQ Maverick Deluxe

Postby British BBQ Society » 02 Nov 2011, 13:06

Hi Matt, here is the thread that covered it a couple of weeks ago, viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1458&p=11756&hilit=proq+maverick#p11751
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby The Social Smokers » 02 Nov 2011, 14:13

Thanks for this! Seems a bit of a divided opinion on the Maverick Deluxe.
The Social Smokers
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby fleagle » 10 Apr 2012, 06:08

Did you get one in the end?

I'm also looking to get one but unsure as to its quality.

Fleagle
fleagle
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Swindon_Ed » 10 Apr 2012, 19:19

fleagle wrote:Did you get one in the end?

I'm also looking to get one but unsure as to its quality.

Fleagle

I've seen on Twitter that these guys did buy one, but I've also seen that they've been having some teething problems, so it might be worth sending them a PM to see how they're getting on.
Swindon_Ed

Postby fleagle » 11 Apr 2012, 15:08

Cheers sent them a pm.

Fleagle
fleagle
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby The Social Smokers » 05 Jul 2012, 10:20

We did buy one and it does not produce as good as results as the ProQ bullet type smokers. It doesn't come with a cover and rusts to buggery. We just use ours for direct grilling now. It's 7 months old and looks like it's 7 years old. Not my favourite smoker to cook on. I'm just glad we got a hefty discount on it from our sponsors.
The Social Smokers
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Steve » 05 Jul 2012, 11:45

I think the issue probably lies in trying to produce a product that looks like an offset for a price that the great British public will buy into. I'm sure Ian will have done his best to meet these two conflicting aims but its a thankless task.

I think it was Ed told me that Ian is now bringing in these Smoki fun offsets. They look really good, I guess they'll be expensive but I'm yet to see a good cheap offset other than the occasional bargain CJ on eBay.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Swindon_Ed » 05 Jul 2012, 11:50

Steve wrote:I think it was Ed told me that Ian is now bringing in these Smoki fun offsets. They look really good, I guess they'll be expensive but I'm yet to see a good cheap offset other than the occasional bargain CJ on eBay.

From what i've seen the Smoky fun offset's work out to be around half the cost of the CJ's new but that's still more than most will be looking to spend, but having a good look at them they look fantastic. Smoky Fun even ship them with a baffle to stop hot spots near the fire box, where i belive this is an extra item for the CJ's.
Swindon_Ed

Postby The Social Smokers » 05 Jul 2012, 11:58

Yeah i saw those Smoki Fun smokers at Grillstock. They do look like a lot of fun!!
The Social Smokers
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Next

Return to Barbecue Reviews