My first UDS build.

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

Re: My first UDS build.

Postby keith157 » 26 Jun 2012, 17:15

BBQ BAZ wrote:@ Keith, we have the Police helicopter go over regularly, if they get a trace of infra red they come and have a look. It's nick named locally as "The Broxtowe Airshow", this is where they spend time looking for roofs that glow, and where people may be growing herbage. So they wouldn't be looking for sunbathers then

It did make me laugh when I opened it, Very High Temp paint.... extremely flammable!

That label's about as weird as Nightol, a sleep remedy. Caution may cause drowsiness....elf n safety again?
keith157

Postby BBQ BAZ » 27 Jun 2012, 18:37

I got home early tonight, so with the weather as good as it is, it's a shame to waste it.
Out came the grinder with a wire brush stuck on it and off we went, Christ it's a messy job. But two hours later and with no feeling in my fingers it's ready for paint.

I think that was the hard bit done, I think the paint could be fun if it's not a still day, but that's for another day.
BBQ BAZ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby KamadoSimon » 27 Jun 2012, 19:13

Bet the neighbours loved you! ;-)

Looking good.
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby BBQ BAZ » 27 Jun 2012, 20:57

Yeah, to be fair, it was a bit noisy, but I had ear defenders on! :D

It makes up for all the hours of yapping their dog does.
BBQ BAZ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby KamadoSimon » 27 Jun 2012, 21:39

BBQ BAZ wrote:Yeah, to be fair, it was a bit noisy, but I had ear defenders on! :D

It makes up for all the hours of yapping their dog does.

Lol
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby BBQ BAZ » 01 Jul 2012, 10:22

I spent yesterday starting to paint, polish & lacquer.
The drum and lid had a coat of VHT paint, and the air tubes were polished to within an inch of their lives, cleaned and lacquered with VHT clear coat.

Here's the drum & lid after a second coat.

And here's the air tubes, with the valves masked off drying.

Iam doing the stand and bits and bobs today, so with a bit of luck and good weather, might have it together for later.
BBQ BAZ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby BBQ BAZ » 01 Jul 2012, 16:24

Fantastic, with the help of a tarp strung between two sheds, I have got it finished, and in smoke.
Here's the stand, which came off an upright mixer, I have been keeping them thinking they may come in handy, and they did.

After that it got rebuilt, and even though the drum had an hour with a heat gun pointed into it, Iam not happy with the paint.
Where I brushed oil into the inside of the drum, some of the oil has leaked out onto the paint. So I coated the entire drum and lid, which turned it glossy, and like my other homebrew smoker, should dry OK.

Her's the chimney and rear view.

The grill in place.

The fire ready to go, using the Minion method, with a few nice bits of Oak on for the smoke.

And here she is, all done and now in her first smoke.

Here's the temp after two hours, so Iam now messing around with the airflow to get the temp down a bit. Maybe next weekend I might get to put something through it and see how it performs.

BBQ BAZ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby BBQ BAZ » 01 Jul 2012, 17:40

I have just wiped all the paint off.
With the oil it all went soggy and just wiped off. It's ruined two tea towels though.
Whoops, Iam sure she will understand. :lol:

So back to the drawing board on the paint front. I think I'll just use Plasticote BBQ paint, I have used it before and had no issues with it.
In the mean time the temperature has not moved and I think it will be going all night, which will season it lovely.
My neighbour has just given me some Cherry and there's some Apple wood on it's way, all three years old. That should give me a good start at this smoking malarkey.
BBQ BAZ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby duncanjsims » 02 Jul 2012, 14:04

Baz ive just completed my first UDS and ive found you here. Im humbled by your drum though!

looks amazing. ive gone for a Kettle lid and two grills.

let me know how you get on.

im on test burns this week if weather allows.
duncanjsims
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby BBQ BAZ » 02 Jul 2012, 19:35

Well I have to admit, Iam amazed at the performance. I lit it yesterday at Half two, and at bed time it was still going strong,( 180 degree's C), and even too hot to handle this morning at six.
When I got home from work tonight, it was still at 40 odd degree's. That is very economical with the charcoal.
The inside is now nicely coated in a hard, smokey smelling coat of oil, and will, I presume build up more with every use.

I was a bit worried that it wouldn't perform, and all the time and effort would have been wasted, but it has gone way beyond what I thought it was capable of.

To top off a busy but satisfying weekend, Mrs Baz is buying me a Maverick ET 732 for my Birthday, to go with it, top job.

Good luck with your build Duncan, sounds good. I don't think we are going to get any decent weather in the near future, even the Met office are downbeat about it.

Iam a bit of a Squirrel, keeping hold of things, and thinking "that will come in handy for something". So it was a good exercise to clear out some of the darker corners of my shed, when looking for bits to build it with.
There are two saucepan lids, (Chimney top) a vent pipe off a commercial Combi oven, (top part of stack) a bit of dishwasher wash pipe, (lower stack) The stand was off a scrap food mixer, and the lever valves are recycled off a forge I made years ago. That went as I don't really do any decorative ironwork now.
I can't wait to put something through it, it ain't going to do my Gazelle like frame much good!
BBQ BAZ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

PreviousNext

Return to Barbecue Reviews