ProQ Trailblazer Mods with Pics

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

Re: ProQ Trailblazer Mods with Pics

Postby The Social Smokers » 06 Jul 2012, 09:57

fleagle wrote: On my first smoke I had problems getting the temp up when using the firebox any ideas/tips?

Fleagle

You may have done the thing we did and put it together incorrectly. We put the plate with the adjustable vent in between the sidebox and the main chamber. You are supposed to leave that out completely so you have a large oval hole as per "fire box with chimney starter" photo. The instructions weren't that great. I spoken to Ian about this.
The Social Smokers
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby fleagle » 06 Jul 2012, 14:14

Actually I left that bit out!

Maybe I need more coals as I only used one starterfull. Then angle the adjustable coal rack to divert the heat down.
fleagle
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby The Social Smokers » 09 Jul 2012, 14:20

fleagle wrote:Actually I left that bit out!

You did a better job than me then haha!

Do you have a cover for yours?
The Social Smokers
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby fleagle » 09 Jul 2012, 19:33

Bought the cover as well, so hopefully that will keep It looking ok for a few years
fleagle
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby och29 » 03 Aug 2012, 10:07

Sorry that I've neglected this post for a while but I've had a few other projects on.
@Fleagle I had a bit of trouble with temps as well before switching to BigK Restaurant Charcoal. I checked the calibration on the thermometer and mine was fine but I still think that it because of it's position, high in the grill, it will under read the temperature that you are looking for. The gaps around the side also leak a lot of heat so if you can fill them that will definitely help. Unfortunately my system didn't work well and I have only now got round to trying to seal up the gaps again... I will post pictures when I've done it.
I got the cover as well although there was a slight mix up... read about it here.
och29
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Previous

Return to Barbecue Reviews