My first UDS build.

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

Re: My first UDS build.

Postby BigG » 16 Jul 2012, 14:07

No problem mate, I've got kids running around too so I was concerned about the sides temperature but bumping into it and briefly putting a hand on it doesn't do any damage, It's probably the least dangerous cooking equipment we've got :P compared to the grill and gas bbq, My whole build had to be non-weld just good old nuts n bolts ! Can see the build here -

G
BigG
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby CyderPig » 17 Jul 2012, 07:38

Hi
Good things to make fire baskets out of are old beer kegs and washing machine/ tumble dryer drums, no welding needed just drilling and cutting.
On my 1st build I spent a fortune on UHT paint, but now I use Radiator enamel, does the sme job, as the drum itself doesn't get that hot. I have turned the drum mid cook with my bare hands, when the wind has changed direction and temps have started to drop.

Hope this helps

Simon
CyderPig
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby aris » 17 Jul 2012, 09:32

Is it better to have a shallow & wide charcoal basket, or a taller slimmer one? I'm thinking that the wide/shallow one is better, particularly if using the minion method. Also because the coal will be further away from the meat itself. What does the collective knowledge of the BB say?
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby BigG » 17 Jul 2012, 10:03

I wouldn't try tall/slim, might be like having a chimney starter in there lol my basket is 14" x 10" and approx 7" tall which is higher than I've actually needed. I've had pork shoulders on an 8 hr + cooks no problem and never had to top up fuel. I'm still surprised how much is left over in the basket after maintaining a decent cooking temp all day long.

G
BigG
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby CyderPig » 17 Jul 2012, 11:39

Ditto that!
Basket size 16 in diamiter, 7ins tall, legs just over 2 in.

Cheers
CyderPig
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby aris » 20 Jul 2012, 08:53

I'm wondering if something like this would work for a UDS coal basket:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Cast-Iron ... 0642678251

By the time I go and get some expanded steel and all the bits to make my own, this could well work the same.
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby aris » 21 Jul 2012, 19:57

Anyone?
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby BBQ BAZ » 22 Jul 2012, 12:29

Iam not sure what the dimensions are, but that is not going to hold a lot of fuel. I suspect you would need something with sides at least twice the height in relation to the base size.
After last weekend, I used about half a basket, and that kept going for around ten hours.
I don't think one that's taller will make such a difference, as you are tightly controlling the air in, and have a heat deflector directly above the fire. So the air temp is what you set it at, and it should be fairly uniform around the grill, as it will be distributed by convection turbulence. I say that as mine is as tall as it is wide, 11 inches, with two inch tall feet.
I have moved my air probe round the grill and don't get much change. I do get a cold spot next to food that's just gone in, as it chills the air round it. But that is to be expected, and it doesn't last long, and I don't change any settings.
As Cyderpig says, an old beer keg cut down and holed would make a good basket, but be careful as they are under a lot of pressure, even when "empty". Drill a 3mm hole in the top to vent any pressure. Under no circumstance screw the valve out, it will take your head off.
Hope that helps.
BBQ BAZ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Previous

Return to Barbecue Reviews