Ribolater

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

Ribolater

Postby keith157 » 16 Jul 2012, 09:39

Hi, does anyone, preferably in the UK, have any hands on experience good or bad with this device?

http://www.ribolator.com/

There is a European distributer in the Netherlands and I've sent them an email re postage etc.

It may just be a fad, but I feel the need to cheer myself up, having not been able to do anything exciting over the weekend, and with Brighton's chilli fest being still on the horizon. :D
keith157

Re: Ribolater

Postby Swindon_Ed » 16 Jul 2012, 09:59

I don't know of anyone having one in the UK but i've been looking at them for a while now and was discussing them over the weekend, it's on my list of things to get.
Swindon_Ed

Postby aris » 16 Jul 2012, 10:18

It is a nice idea. I wonder if it would fit in a UDS.

You see this kind of thing (but on a much much larger scale) when watching Man vs Food or DDD when they go to these huge BBQ restaurants in the US.
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby aris » 16 Jul 2012, 10:25

Just watched the video - it will fit a UDS :-)

This isn't true rotisserie though. The point of a rotisserie is that it is self basting. Instead of juices falling down into the grill, they stay on the meat as it is unable to drip off as the meat turns on an axis.

Perhaps you may get some more capacity and a more even cook as the food is circulated around the cooking chamber. I would be interested in hearing some independent reviews.
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Swindon_Ed » 16 Jul 2012, 11:16

One of the main benefits with this is that all of your food will be cooked evenly, as i know with all of my smokers that i have some hot spots which has burn one rack of ribs whilst the other ones cooked fine so i think that's going to be the main benefit with it, and the fact it looks very cool :geek:
Swindon_Ed

Postby keith157 » 16 Jul 2012, 11:21

I quite agree it's not true, rotisserie (as in self basting) it's an add-on to your spit to extend the range of food one can cook. It's not the bee all and end all, hopefully it's another fun way of delivering good food in larger quantities :D
keith157

Postby BigG » 16 Jul 2012, 12:04

I notice in the video demonstration he loads it up with fish,chicken,pork loin and ribs and as it has slots in each basket I imagine you'd get cross contamination from flavours/juices as it drips on the rack below/opposite
It's Interesting but it's not a cheap toy for the home bbq fan, not sure I'd want fish juice basting my ribs :o so you'd end up cooking less variety of foods as he does in the vid.

Just a thought

G
BigG
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby keith157 » 16 Jul 2012, 12:48

It is after all just a promo rather than a cookery guide. It seems to be on the budget end of promo vids at that but I won't be mixing the foods up that much anyway, but a valid point nontheless.
keith157

Postby keith157 » 25 Jul 2012, 13:20

Mine arrived last night, and I'm cooking this afternoon. With the order came an offer. Anyone in the UK who wants to buy one can get it free from shipping costs by using this email address (apparantly he is the best English speaker and writer). T.Verheijen@gistron.com.
Oh and if 10 of you buy one I get mine free...............so any takers :?: ;)
Image Image Image Image Image Image

I've four racks of ribs on the Outdoorchef Ascona I'll post more pictures after a couple of hours.
keith157

Postby Swindon_Ed » 25 Jul 2012, 15:04

Very nice Keith 8-) 8-) 8-)
Swindon_Ed

Next

Return to Barbecue Reviews