my mini bbq

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

my mini bbq

Postby bbqmatt » 10 Aug 2012, 11:21

hi all. im new to this forum stuff but looking forward to some good stuff on here. im looking for some advice on my product that i make down in somerset. i make custom mini bbqs that are on a trailer chassis but am having a job finding out what places to advertise or even if its a good idea at all. the main problem im having is the price as parts are not cheap but as im buying british parts thats not much of a suprise. i have the bbqs up at £1650 but i have seen some posts on here that £1000+ is something people would not pay for a bbq....
bbqmatt
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: my mini bbq

Postby aris » 10 Aug 2012, 12:06

Exactly how is something on a trailer a 'mini bbq' - or is it actually made out of a Morris Mini?
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby bbqmatt » 10 Aug 2012, 12:21

It's a classic 1970 mini front with a gas BBQ in where the engine would be and its got a tow bar on the back towing was an after thought for beach camping etc
bbqmatt
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby aris » 10 Aug 2012, 12:24

Sounds pretty amazing. I'm not sure who would buy one though. Perhaps if you aimed towards the outside catering market.
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby keith157 » 10 Aug 2012, 13:02

Somebody posted a picture of a similar thing based on a VW Beetle, and got some not very supportive comments. I'm not sure how effective they would be as a competition or catering BBQ (I don't do either but a few on here do both), and at that price it's a bit too expensive for a talking point,
However that's just my old fashioned, nowhere to put it anyhow, opinion :D
keith157

Postby bbqmatt » 10 Aug 2012, 13:32

Not seen the vw one I only started making classic mini BBQ because I wanted to make something that represented this country
bbqmatt
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby Tiny » 10 Aug 2012, 14:37

Matt,Matt,
Sounds
interesting, As you say a little pricey but then it is a novelty item. Suggest you put up pics and gives some more detail ie how many burners Kw etc what makes it a good bbq? why would I want one? Think the beach camping is a good idea but have no real idea just how mahooosive this thing is. The folk on this forum know there bbq so will give you some perspective on the decency of your offering, but in a nice way. There are many food based events festivals around the country where you could show them off but my guess is they want a pretty penny for you to turn up and show

I guess its like any business if you believe in the product you have to take a punt, but advertising is expensive so testing the waters on a few forums wont do you any harm.....

Best of British,
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby bbqmatt » 10 Aug 2012, 14:47

Nice one will try and get a picture up so there is at least something for people to comment on. If I could get the parts price down it would be much better as it is even I can see that I'm pushing it but maybe quality will make up for it...
bbqmatt
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby aris » 10 Aug 2012, 18:52

Sounds like ou have welding and metalwork skills. Why not make stuff people do want like charcoal baskets, rib racks, and other mods for existing bbq's.
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby bbqmatt » 10 Aug 2012, 19:00

I am a fabricator welder but I didn't get a business brain when they handed them out so I just tend to think of a product that sounds cool and make it. Plus making custom peaces is much more fun than copying the last Joe. But if people need custom grills etc you guys know I'm on here now.
bbqmatt
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Return to Barbecue Reviews