Basic Coleslaw

Got a recipe for a killer 'Slaw or some hearty BBQ beans? Maybe you make some killer ABT's or something more inventive. This is the place to post your recipes.

Basic Coleslaw

Postby philnewts » 21 Jul 2010, 17:30

Hi

I have looked around online and seen some basic coleslaw recipes but wondered if anyone wouldn't mind sharing a traditional recipe that is well bound together for pulled pork sandwiches?

Some seem a bit loose and I like the ones that can be heaped up as a sloppy mess !!!
philnewts
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Basic Coleslaw

Postby All Weather Griller » 21 Jul 2010, 18:50

oooh good question! I know that Jackie Weight has a great one, send her a PM.
All Weather Griller

Postby Steve » 21 Jul 2010, 21:52

For a really basic one, I use grated carrot and onion and shredded white cabbage.

I mix a dressing of mayo, cider vinegar, english mustard, and a pinch of salt. I also sometimes add a little finely grated cacao. I can't tell you quantities, I kind of mix it up by eye then get the taste right by adding a little extra vinegar.

I also sometimes use red cabbage. This is a really basic coleslaw, but it goes down well and is great on a PP butty.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ozza » 23 Jul 2010, 19:46

Steve wrote:For a really basic one, I use grated carrot and onion and shredded white cabbage.

I mix a dressing of mayo, cider vinegar, english mustard, and a pinch of salt. I also sometimes add a little finely grated cacao. I can't tell you quantities, I kind of mix it up by eye then get the taste right by adding a little extra vinegar.

I also sometimes use red cabbage. This is a really basic coleslaw, but it goes down well and is great on a PP butty.

like the idea of Englsh mustard, id imagine that takes the creamy edge off??
ozza
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Mike_P_in_Tucson » 24 Jul 2010, 01:50

Steve has it right on, but easy on the mustard, it can overpower a slaw. I would start with the mayo, add a bit of vinegar and salt, and just dribble a bit of mustard. Then taste and add more of whatever you think it needs. Also I add a bit of sugar for a sweeter slaw. If it the dressing is too thin, just add more mayo till it is your preferred consistency.

The most unusual slaw I had, here in Tucson, also had cinnamon in it. I hated it when I first tasted it, but after I got home and had some as "leftovers" it really began to grow on me. Now I want to go back and get more.
Mike_P_in_Tucson

Postby clairbare » 19 Oct 2010, 09:59

Also try adding good squeeze of lime and lots of chopped corriander for a different taste - although not tried this with pork, sure it will go with any meat :)
clairbare
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby MadCow » 24 Oct 2010, 09:52

Have posted my recipe for Slaw ... goes really well with pork and brisket.

Hope you like it.
MadCow

Postby Vic. » 13 Mar 2011, 20:20

I love lidls coleslaw, its chunky and has a nice tart taste, not like the fine overloaded mayo stuff you get.
Vic.
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby philnewts » 18 Apr 2011, 17:51

Does anyone use Apples or Apple juice in their coleslaw? Does it work well or just taste odd?
philnewts
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Jonty » 30 Aug 2012, 08:00

I've not had this slaw on pulled pork but it is excellant. A friend of mine in the states sent me the recipe and it's just got the right amount of tang to cut through the creaminess. The fine cut of it is a texture I wasn't used to but I really like it.

8 cups cabbage; finely chopped
1/4 cup carrot; shredded
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar
2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice

Cut cabbage and carrots into small pieces about the size of rice kernels. (The food processor is great for this!) In salad bowl, combine the sugar, salt, pepper, milk, mayonnaise, buttermilk, vinegar and lemon juice. Beat until smooth. Add the cabbage and carrots. Mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
Jonty
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Next

Return to Sides