Is this the best customer service in the UK?

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

Is this the best customer service in the UK?

Postby keith157 » 15 Apr 2013, 13:43

Okay, last week I had a problem with my knife sharpener( viewtopic.php?f=43&t=2853&hilit=ke198). Yes the one I raved about, well it started making horrible noises and "chattering" on the blade, so I contacted the company IO Shen who asked me to send the machine and the damaged knife back. Having checked it they couldn't find anything wrong, but as one of their reps (actually their Technical Director) was going to be in the area he would return it. Well he arrived about an hour ago with my sharper than new boning knife and went through the complete sharpening process with me. It turns out I was pressing too hard, and it only needs just the weight of the knife and no exrtra force at all.
I'm sad to admit that in this day and age I didn't expect to get such great service but boy am I happy I did!!! :D
keith157

Re: Is this the best customer service in the UK?

Postby Saucy Pig » 15 Apr 2013, 14:47

Nice when people go that extra mile.

I'm hoping this is a general thread about good service as Id like to nominate the people at Devon Rose meat suppliers.

Ordered 25 racks of ribs requesting leaving them whole. When they arrived they'd been cut into thirds by mistake. No great disaster but I wanted to make sure it wouldn't happen next time. On hold to customer service I hoped for free delivery next time or maybe a little bit of credit. What I actually received was another 25 whole racks of ribs rushed to me the next day. Fantastic stuff.

Nick
Saucy Pig
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby derekmiller » 15 Apr 2013, 14:48

Thats good. Service like that deserves mentioning.
What angle does it sharpen too, and does anyone know what angle Henckel knives are?
Derek.
derekmiller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby keith157 » 15 Apr 2013, 15:20

The KE 198 is designed to reprofile the edge to 15degrees, so it has one set of medium and one of fine stones my knives are shaving sharp
keith157

Postby Swindon_Ed » 15 Apr 2013, 15:22

derekmiller wrote:Thats good. Service like that deserves mentioning.What angle does it sharpen too, and does anyone know what angle Henckel knives are?Derek.

The I.O. Shen sharpener cuts the knives at the 15 degree angle which is standard for Japanese knives where they’re normally made of a harder steel which allows them to keep this sharper edge.

Henckels are cut to a 22 degree angle which is standard for German knives where they’re made of a softer steel.

Although I’ve sharpened my Henckels, Wusthof & even some really cheap knives with my I.o. Shen sharpener and they all come out super sharp, they just need sharpening more often but this is easy to do with this type of sharpener.
Swindon_Ed

Postby derekmiller » 15 Apr 2013, 16:18

Thanks Ed & Keith.
derekmiller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby keith157 » 15 Apr 2013, 17:55

Swindon_Ed wrote:
derekmiller wrote:Thats good. Service like that deserves mentioning.What angle does it sharpen too, and does anyone know what angle Henckel knives are?Derek.

The I.O. Shen sharpener cuts the knives at the 15 degree angle which is standard for Japanese knives where they’re normally made of a harder steel which allows them to keep this sharper edge.

Henckels are cut to a 22 degree angle which is standard for German knives where they’re made of a softer steel.

Although I’ve sharpened my Henckels, Wusthof & even some really cheap knives with my I.o. Shen sharpener and they all come out super sharp, they just need sharpening more often but this is easy to do with this type of sharpener.

If you get it right :oops: :oops: :oops:
keith157

Postby hifigary » 16 Apr 2013, 19:35

I.O. Shen have the best customer service - I chipped one of my knives and contacted them - for £7 they totally took the
chip out of the blade and resharpened it for me. Not only is their customer service good - but their knives are
great also.
hifigary
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Smokeyblokey » 23 May 2013, 15:40

Glad to see them gaining the well-deserved recognition - I've been in touch with them on a regular basis and the service has never let me down.
Smokeyblokey
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby keith157 » 24 May 2013, 04:14

I thought my old knives were sharp after using their sharpener, last week I took delivery of an IO Shen 165mm Chef's Knife and their pointed parer. This shows the plain difference between a true professional sharpening (I was told they are hand ground and polished on massive wheels) and what you can do at home. I'd match the edge on my old knives with any of them new out of the box, but these new babies are even smoother and sharper :shock: :shock: .
keith157

Return to Barbecue Reviews