Dirty Tomahawk Steaks

Dirty Tomahawk Steaks

Postby SaySausages.com » 01 Jun 2013, 19:16

Image Well this Barbecue Season I really have gone all “Dirty” on you, here’s the pinnacle of these big joints of dry aged beef cooked straight on the coals. I always enjoy a visit to my local Butcher especially when he tells me he has something a bit special he’d like me to try. I’d seen the Tomahawk steaks on a previous visit and thought how they would be perfect cooked in my favourite “Dirty” style. So when he messaged me and told me he had some Tomahawks that were at least 50 day dry aged Aberdeen Angus, I knew I had to taste them. They are essentially the Ribeye Steak “Cote de Boeuf” with the full rib bone trimmed and kept long. Image Dry aging Beef, brings out the most amazing nutty, blue cheesey tastes and renders the beef as tender as you can get, and is perfect served “Bleu” with an internal temperature of 45degC, and with a salty herby crust on the outside, I really think it’s difficult to top this way of cooking a good steak. I placed each steak straight onto the coal and brushed with a baste made from 2 cloves of garlic, 3 sprigs each of rosemary, thyme and flat leaf parsley, 3tbsp coarse rock salt, 5/6 tbsp olive oil, and a squeeze of lemon juice. Blitz these up in a blender to a bright green paste. Brush liberally onto the steaks as they cook. I cooked the steaks a few minutes each side on the coals, and then place to one side of the BBQ to smoke with the lid down for 20 minutes until they had reached the desired 45degC. Allow to rest for 10 minutes. Image I cut off thin slices, and served with a green salad, some vegetable rice and  some lovely crusty sourdough. Image Really deep flavours, that blew my guests away. This is such a simple way to cook them and I really urge you to give this method of cooking a go this BBQ season, trust me you will never look back. Cheers Marcus www.countrywoodsmoke.com
SaySausages.com

Re: Dirty Tomahawk Steaks

Postby RobinC » 01 Jun 2013, 20:27

Have never done a cook directly on the coals and have resolved to remedy that this summer. Out of interest what fuel are you using?
RobinC
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby zammo25 » 01 Jun 2013, 22:28

That looks absolutely amazing, wish my friends served me food like that...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
zammo25
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby keith157 » 02 Jun 2013, 06:29

Why don't you serve your friends food like that instead now you know how?
I may have to shop around for a butcher that does proper 1/4s of beef and give that a try.
keith157

Postby Minesamojito » 02 Jun 2013, 17:00

Thanks guys, glad you like them.
Such a great way of getting a good crust going.
You can only do this with lumpwood charcoal or actual hardwood logs, I used a combination of lumpwood charcoal and Birch logs.
Get them good and hot, a quick blow to get rid of any surface ash, and chuck the meat straight on :)
Do it, it's easy and a real show stopper for your guests :)
Cheers
Marcus
Minesamojito
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby stretchie_ » 02 Feb 2015, 11:40

GET IN MY BELLY
stretchie_
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby stretchie_ » 03 Feb 2015, 10:36

We had a Tomahawk steak last year, it was a big old unit, 28 days aged, not as long as yours.

Just a big delicious meat lollipop.

[IMG]http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j11/Stretchie_/Food/IMG_20140811_211517.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j11/Stretchie_/Food/IMG_20140811_211531.jpg[/IMG]

You have intrigued me, I'm going to ask my butcher about getting a couple like you had and trying that, they looked amazing
stretchie_
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Return to Barbecue Blog