Grillstock Manchester

All the latest from barbecue organisations/ organisers and manufactures in the UK, if anything has been missed fell free to chip in!

Re: Grillstock Manchester

Postby Eddie » 10 Jun 2013, 08:51

Pleased that Grillstock has had another event and speading the gospel according to BBQ. Just a shame it was on the same weekend as http://www.speedfest.co.uk/ BBQ comp.

Eddie
Eddie
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby crizmo » 10 Jun 2013, 12:18

I really enjoyed it on Sat. I have to say though, at the risk of offending the previous poster, the food I bought was very unimpressive. I got some chicken and a rack of ribs from the stall on your right as you went in. The chicken was not cooked properly (I'm not confusing the pink smoke ring with almost raw meat) and the ribs were so tough and fatty that I could barely pull them apart with my teeth.

I enjoyed speaking to the people in the competition though and may have a go myself next year if I can get a spot.

Cheers

Chris
crizmo
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby RobinC » 10 Jun 2013, 12:52

crizmo wrote:I really enjoyed it on Sat. I have to say though, at the risk of offending the previous poster, the food I bought was very unimpressive. I got some chicken and a rack of ribs from the stall on your right as you went in. The chicken was not cooked properly (I'm not confusing the pink smoke ring with almost raw meat) and the ribs were so tough and fatty that I could barely pull them apart with my teeth.

I enjoyed speaking to the people in the competition though and may have a go myself next year if I can get a spot.

Cheers

Chris

Think that was Reds BBQ. We had some of their ribs and pulled pork at 12ish. Texture on the ribs we bought was fine, slight bit of chew but certainly not tough and not too much fat, the kids enjoyed them (though said mine were better :D ). The pulled pork was ok too. I can't say I was impressed BUT I wasn't disappointed either. It can't be easy catering in those conditions. Prices were a little high but they always are at festival events and to be fair to the vendors I suspect they have to be for them to make a bit of money.
RobinC
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby NomNomBBQ » 11 Jun 2013, 13:58

I competed with the Flaming Amateurs team at this as my team were unable to, had an amazing weekend. Lovely vibe about the place, crowd were great and mad for BBQ, spoke to loads and loads of people. Weather was amazing, nice to be able to see and hear the main stage (just about) from our pitch.

There were only 6 teams competing which meant there was loads of spare meat to cook and give away to the crowds who really appreciated it and were keen to know more.

Not too sure it could get much bigger at that site though, apparently it was sold out.

1st BBQ Crackerjack (Andy Annat)
2nd Reds True BBQ
3rd Flaming Amateurs :mrgreen:
NomNomBBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby keith157 » 11 Jun 2013, 14:35

Congrats on the placing
keith157

Postby Eddie » 11 Jun 2013, 14:42

:shock: I'm shocked that only 6 teams were competing :shock: But not so shocked about the food REDS were serving up as the restaurant they have has been slated.
Eddie
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Saucy Pig » 11 Jun 2013, 15:38

Not surprised it was sold out. Was told on the door the capacity was 2000. Many more in there and it would have felt uncomfortable. Maybe they'll realise its a popular event and move somewhere bigger for next year.
Saucy Pig
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby NomNomBBQ » 11 Jun 2013, 17:09

Thanks Keith, I just really went along to see how another team cooked - we didnt use any of my kit, rubs or sauces so the credit must goto the rest of the Flaming Amateurs team. Im still quite new to the whole scene and it was so nice talking BBQ with everybody who was there :) I really didnt get a chance when we competed @ Bristol as I was rushed off my feet.

Eddie - There were 6 teams competing as several dropped out, it was supposed to be 10 I believe. I was originally competing with Curly Rob but he had to drop out and luckily the flaming amateurs came to my rescue. Dr BBQ also bailed, someone said due to missing a flight but I might be wrong.

Those Reds BBQ boys worked damn hard, ive just read the other thread and I cant really comment on their food as I only tried the pulled pork (which was pretty good) but the food looked damn tasty, they ran a very professional setup and their queue was rarely below 20-30 people.

We talked hardcore BBQ on the friday night, were really friendly guys and were happy to talk to me about their business and methods while they were trying to prepare meat.

Hats off to them, they served probably 1000s of people and managed to compete at the same time.

And beat us.

Dammit :evil:
NomNomBBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby drbbq » 11 Jun 2013, 22:24

I didn't exactly bail. I was scheduled to fly Tampa to Atlanta, then Atlanta to Manchester arriving on Thursday. Bad weather in Atlanta held my flight in Tampa until the Manchester flight had left and there weren't any suitable options the next day. The layover was to be 1:45 and that seemed like it was long enough. Guess I learned a lesson.
Sorry to miss everyone. It sure looked like a good time!
drbbq
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby NomNomBBQ » 11 Jun 2013, 22:39

Sorry Ray, wrong expression, that wasn't what I meant at all.

Shame you wernt there, you missed a good one. The sun was out on the saturday and so were the ladies :D
NomNomBBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

PreviousNext

Return to Barbecue News