Using unseasoned fruit wood

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Using unseasoned fruit wood

Postby kwazulu » 12 Jul 2013, 09:01

Morning all.

Was on youtube last night and stumbled across Aaron Franklin (of Franklin's BBQ) channel. Watching the episode about wood, he suggests you can use wood from fruit trees while it is still green. I thought all wood needed to be seasoned before it could be used? I am interested to know peoples opinions on this. Thanks.

Gian
kwazulu
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Using unseasoned fruit wood

Postby RobinC » 12 Jul 2013, 09:10

Just be aware that unseasoned wood will smoke more
RobinC
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby keith157 » 12 Jul 2013, 09:32

What was he using it in? If a large restaurant built in smoker it wouldn't make a lot of difference smokewise as they would be some kind of extraction facility. As Robin says green wood makes more smoke so for a domestic or small commercial concern it would not IMO be useful. Whilst perusing youtube, see if there are any vids of signal fires to see just how much smoke green wood produces.
keith157

Postby kwazulu » 12 Jul 2013, 10:00

Here is a link to the episode http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucUy1k86GdA for anyone who may be interested. He doesn't mention anything about the size of the cooker or anything like that but you make a very valid point Keith. I'll keep reading/watching/learning, looks like some experimentation is also in order :)
kwazulu
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Swindon_Ed » 12 Jul 2013, 11:07

I've used some apple wood in the past that wasn't seasoned for long enough and it did give out a much stronger smoke flavor, but it was also kinda bitter as well which i didn't like so stopped using it for a while. I'd left the bag next to a radiator in the house and when i'd ran out of wood one time i gave it a try and found it much nicer once it had been properly seasoned.

It's interesting that he says that you can use it, but then he also talks about how the oak that he uses has been drying out for 18 months, which kinda makes you question his comment about unseasoned woods.
Swindon_Ed

Postby Gary Morris » 12 Jul 2013, 11:34

Does the bark burn well also? I remember a thread saying the bark can also leave a bitter taste on food.
Gary Morris
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby kwazulu » 12 Jul 2013, 12:24

Swindon_Ed wrote:It's interesting that he says that you can use it, but then he also talks about how the oak that he uses has been drying out for 18 months, which kinda makes you question his comment about unseasoned woods.

Completely agree. This was the first time I am hearing this.

Gary Morris wrote:Does the bark burn well also? I remember a thread saying the bark can also leave a bitter taste on food

I remember reading that post as well. What I think I might try at some point is to strip the bark off this cherry wood I have and give that a go on some chicken.

Thanks folks. great talking this stuff through and learning from everyones experiences.

Gian
kwazulu
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby awesselbaum » 12 Jul 2013, 12:27

Is it ok to use cherry blossom wood?
awesselbaum
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice