Reds True BBQ Leeds - My thoughts

All the latest from barbecue organisations/ organisers and manufactures in the UK, if anything has been missed fell free to chip in!

Re: Reds True BBQ Leeds - My thoughts

Postby Pecker » 12 May 2013, 09:43

One other thing I should have said.

Okay, if I forget about barbecue for a second. Just based on the fact that I've gone out for a meal, I'm trying something different, and using the same standards I'd apply to eating anywhere, was it 'good food'? Yes, it definitely was.

None of the flavours clashed. Not all of it was exactly to my taste (sauce on the Baby Backs a bit sweet, but only just). But it was good food.

Steve W
Pecker
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby keith157 » 12 May 2013, 10:23

Thanks Steve a really nice, even review.
As to the preponderance of sweet and in your face flavourings that seem to pervade US cooking I have my own theory (my untested theory BBQwise) that maybe, just maybe with all the growth hormones they have used for decades there may be a bit of pure taste has been lost.
keith157

Postby Saucy Pig » 12 May 2013, 22:16

Seems Jay Rayner has a few thought on Reds too.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... ant-review

Now whatever you think of Jay personally or Reds, what bugs me the most is fans of Reds slagging him off for being Southern and not know real BBQ.

Maybe they should also read this little piece of his and tell me he doesnt know his bbq

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... -bbq-shack
Saucy Pig
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Saucy Pig » 13 May 2013, 09:43

Have to also state. Took a lot for Reds to post the review on their own pages, so respect for that and also the way they atleast tried to control some of the more personal attacks.
Saucy Pig
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Pecker » 13 May 2013, 12:33

Saucy Pig, thanks for that.

Interestingly, he liked the ribs, which he says were the main reason he was there, but then the overall conclusion is largely negative. I think that's a slight imbalance, but there you go.

I agree with him on his comments on the ribs, I didn't have starters so can't comment, I agree about the massive onion rings (more sort of onion domes), I agree about the prices (reasonable, maybe a tad high) and whilst I didn't have a 'bin', I agree about how things are served. Oh, and the very sweet sauce!

Glad to know I got a lot right! :D

I think the conclusion is, if you want some very nice ribs in the middle of Leeds, this is a good place to go. But don't buy any starters or sides, and get your ribs in a rack, not a bucket.

Steve W
Pecker
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby JamsCowbell » 03 Aug 2013, 00:31

I've been wanting to go to Reds since it opened, although for a big bloke that likes to cook I have a mouse belly and can't even finish a double burger in my local unless I'm starving! Friends of mine go there regularly and love it, but with a two babies aged 1 and 2 I don't have the freedom I used to have!

Anyone fancy setting up a local BBQ club in Horsforth, Leeds? :)
JamsCowbell
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Gary Morris » 03 Aug 2013, 15:30

After reading all the posts on this thread, and other posts in general, I get the felling that the general consensus of opinion is that the great british public don't know what's good for them, but could it be that there right?
Does the british general public want stronger more intense flavours? It seems the guys in the US do, so do we assume that if that's what they want, that's what we want too?

I think a parallel can be loosely drawn with the great Ruby Murray, the most popular dish, Chicken Tikka Massala, a fairly mild dish. I've tried the vindaloo's Tindaloo's and phal's (in very small amounts) and they are too hot. I've been going out for curry's for over 35 years and to date have only ever heard of a handful ordering one of these, perhaps we have a milder pallet than those overseas?
I accept everyone on this forum will be in favour of more flavour, but that's to be expected on a bbq site.
I think in business you have to cater for customers and not necessarily your own self and a knowledge of the market in not only tastes but in every sector and we know that assumption is the mother of all fowl up's.
Gary Morris
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby MattJaySmoker » 05 Nov 2013, 11:06

I've been 5-6 times now and enjoy it, but will lay off for a while as the novelty has started to wear out. That along wth the table wait times, it can just be advisable to go for a 'normal' meal elsewhere.

There are also a few new bbq places in Leeds recently opened and 2 in Wakefield so I'll give all of those a try at some point.

The country has gone crazy for pulled pork over the past 18 months :lol:
MattJaySmoker
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby CLEGGZILLA » 05 Nov 2013, 14:32

I went to Leeds on the weekend, the plan, a double dip at Reds, a trip to the armories and see some friends from Leeds.

Lunch, 45 min wait for a table of 4, so we went to the corn exchange and had some tea. I had the Juicy Lucifer burger, enjoyable, and tasty. Good size, but I think it needed a bit more heat in there. Given the reaction of the waitress, I was not supposed to eat it without breaking a sweat. I like my food spicy. This I think I could have given a one chilli and called mild.

For the return, we went at 5pm, for a table of 6, 10pm was time, gutted, some of our friends could not make that, having to get the train home, so a quick call back, and a table of 4 could get in at 8:15. When we got there, I looked at the items they had run out of, and god damn it, they was out of the beef rib, utterly gutted. So, a quick chat with the wife, we decided on a couple of combos. Brisket and pulled pork, and Baby backs and St Louis. After Slaving away the day before to cook some brisket, I thought I could see how far away I was. It turns out, very far. back to the drawing board. This was moist, but served in a gravy, and soft like a babys bottom. The Pulled pork was ok. Baby backs I'd say above average, our friends still had the membrane on, i presume this should have been removed pre-cook. Corn bread, the wife said mine was better, well the stuff that is cooked through is anyway. I got the recipee from the t'interweb. I really liked the mustard sauce they do. St Louis ribs are great.

They do a good line in cocktails too. Some with actual smoke which looks awesome.

We really enjoyed the meals, we will go back again. there is still plenty to check out. I actually want to try their suckling pig.

Reds had done a good job here, they may be catering for the masses, but thats the way to make money.
CLEGGZILLA
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby MattJaySmoker » 05 Nov 2013, 14:44

Yeah that's part of the problem I guess. If you cook on a huge scale you have to accept some dips in consistency and taste here and there.

The strawberry and toasted marshmallow milkshake is to die for, and the peanut butter cheesecake if you can make it to the final course :shock:

I've had the donut burger, pit burger twice (it's huge) and a pulled pork/brisket combo hoagie twice. The sweet potato fries are a nice alternative to usual fries :D
MattJaySmoker
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

PreviousNext

Return to Barbecue News