New toys to go with the Traeger.

The place to hang out and chat about anything and everything that doesn't fall under our other categories.

Re: New toys to go with the Traeger.

Postby Chris__M » 04 Nov 2010, 17:03

I was intending to cut a hole in the side, and vent out with a short bit of flexible ducting, connected to the stack.

However, simply making vent holes is an interesting idea. If I also added a rail in the roof to hang things from, do you think I would get enough smoke up there to cold smoke? :lol:

It is 5' 4" wide (internal) so my Lil Tex will fit easily, with room for my pellets, which I store in sealed plastic buckets.
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby crsmoke070 » 05 Nov 2010, 12:41

You really have me wanting to build my shelter for the smoker but I have to wait until our patio is built next year. Just make sure your neighbors don't think your house is on fire. I have my smoker next to the house so I made sure my neighbors knew I had gotten a smoker.

There are so many things you can do to that structure to make it fit your needs. Good luck with your project.

Chuck
crsmoke070
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Chris__M » 05 Nov 2010, 15:06

Amusing: A hour or so after I ordered it, I realised it was wider than I had measured. Not a calamity, though.

On the webpage, the external width is given (correctly) as 5' 7", or 67 inches. However, they have missed the space out, so it appears as 5'7". I read that as 57 inches, and that is what I measured against my outside wall. The Lil Tex itself is 40 inches, of course.

It was only after pasting here the *internal* width of 5' 4" (and an embarassing time after) that I thought "Huh, how can the internal be larger than the external? (I've got myself a Tardis!)". It was then that I checked, and saw my mistake.

The kitchen wall I am planning to put this against is actually 70 inches, so it is going to be that much closer to the kitchen door than I'd intended. I'll assemble it, and stand it in place, and see how it looks. If I don't like it there, I will move it to the other position I was considering, against the garage wall.

Both positions have their merits. The kitchen wall is right next to the kitchen :lol:, just around a corner from the garden, where anyone coming to a BBQ will be hanging out; whereas the garage wall is in the garden itself.
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby clairbare » 05 Nov 2010, 19:16

Brilliant :lol:

Can't wait to see it all in place
clairbare
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby crsmoke070 » 08 Nov 2010, 17:47

It will be good to see it where ever you decide to place it. I did notice you posted something on pelletheads. We don't have nice structures like yours at our local B&Qs here is america. They are anot called B&Q butare the same type of store.

Keep us posted with your progress.

Chuck
crsmoke070
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Chris__M » 12 Nov 2010, 23:22

The log store arrived, and is nice and sturdy. Looking at the component panels, it is clear that I could, if I wish, construct it either way - sloping away from the wall, as designed, or sloping towards the wall. The later method would mean no rain down the back of the neck, and much better access for someone as tall as me.

Of course, it will also be taking rain water to the wall, but a diagonal piece of wood fixed towards the back of the roof, and well caulked, could solve that, taking the rain to the side, to drain off through a pipe.

However, it is still going to be a while until I put it together - it has joined the other stuff in the garage for the moment. I already have a lot going on in the house, with decorating. I've also got someone coming to look at the garden in general in the next week or so, as I've decided my temporary hard areas, constructed with pavers and gravel a couple of years ago, could be done more professionally. This may mean just a little work done there or - knowing me - it may mean ripping the whole garden apart and starting again; something I have wanted to do since I moved here 10 years ago.

So it is now likely I won't be doing anything fancy until the new year. But when I do, I'll be sure to tell you all about it! :D
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Chris__M » 22 Nov 2010, 15:36

Further to my last post, I had a garden designer in today, to look at my little plot (and I do mean little). Whether or not I will go forward with a "rip the garden apart and start again" attitude, I am still not sure, but it isn't going to cost much to get his draft design.

The following is my own sketch, which I gave to him as starting point.

In moving my veg beds all down one side of the garden - into the sun, which seems a good idea, I have moved one bed in particular from in front of a largely-wasted space behind my garage. Opening up access to this will give me a roughly 8' square area which is both sheltered and next to electricity. It is an area that would be fairly easy to cover, and may be the answer to the "where do I put the BBQ" question.

The downside of this, of course, is that it is delaying getting my BBQ permanently sited.
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby All Weather Griller » 22 Nov 2010, 17:31

and I thought I was extreme just having my old smoke area block paved with two specific pads for the WSM's

The design looks good, one question though. Where is the beer fridge?

Cheers

Adie
All Weather Griller

Postby Chris__M » 22 Nov 2010, 18:07

All Weather Griller wrote:and I thought I was extreme just having my old smoke area block paved with two specific pads for the WSM's

:lol: This idea has been brewing for a long time. Even before the Traeger, the old Weber Kettle tended to go on whatever part of the garden was the least soggy (and on the drive, otherwise). Also, I have long wanted a decent paved area away from the house to use my telescope. If you think tripping over tufts of grass in the mud walking to the BBQ is bad enough, try doing it at night!

All Weather Griller wrote:The design looks good, one question though. Where is the beer fridge?

As it happens, the garden designer had a bright idea on those lines. My garage (like most) isn't used as a garage, but for storage. He suggested knocking a hole in the back wall (or the side wall, towards the back wall), and putting a door there, which would take you into the back of the garage. I could then arrange the storage racks inside to suit - general storage, accessed through the main garage door, garden & BBQ suppliers accessed through the back. Other than the new door, there would be no structural changes to the garage (so it could still be used as such by future owners) but it means you don't have to open an up and over garage door, just to get another bag of pellets (or a beer from the fridge).

If course, knowing me, I'll end up building a bar in there! :D
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby All Weather Griller » 22 Nov 2010, 18:22

Hmmm Lincolnshire isn't that far from me... LOL
All Weather Griller

PreviousNext

Return to Anything Butt