Barbecue Cookoff TV Show

All the latest from barbecue organisations/ organisers and manufactures in the UK, if anything has been missed fell free to chip in!

Re: Barbecue Cookoff TV Show

Postby essexsmoker » 01 Aug 2015, 08:42

Just started watching show. Good old sky plus.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby beercan » 01 Aug 2015, 10:52

Well have to agree with Toby having watched it it does seem an opportunity missed and yes there were more than a few cringes.
I agree its nice to see BBQ on mainstream TV but the sausage and burger people who will watch this are being told these are the some of the best in the country and will believe it.
With the way they are portraying the contestants as being some of the best I couldn't believe I heard comments like Ive never cooked ribs before or Ive never cooked lamb.
There were some interesting bits certainly liked the idea of the sea bass but there were some really basic clangers dropped as well.
I do feel for the contestants tho as the time they were given to try and really build flavour wasnt easy and that time is a critical part of our methods especially for faster cooks so long marinades and brining arent really an option.Be interesting to see if someone does think of injecting as a speed up option.

I know its been said about not being able to use your own equipment but at least everyone is on a level playing field with what they have.
Will it produce the best bbq'er in the country no it wont not with the format they have.
It will just do what the other similar shows do and whoever handles the pressure and can think fastest and be fairly diverse will win it.
To be fair tho its still BBQ on mainstream TV so I know Im going to carry on watching
beercan
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby aris » 01 Aug 2015, 14:29

It very much reminds me of the South African show - Ultimate Braai Master. All these cooking competition shows seem to have the same format.
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby CHokKA » 03 Aug 2015, 09:32

I find Ultimate Braaimaster much better. I watched the ITV show last night with my wife and even the flippin' music in it makes it sound like the Great British Bake Off. It was pathetic. I also don't really agree with them having to butcher their own meat. I know preparing your own meat is part of a BBQ but you don't normally have to go as far as butchering your own cuts. Trimming and cleaning up, sure, but your butcher usually does the rest for you. I don't think BBQ needs to be put into the same boat as MasterChef. They're making BBQ out to be way too serious. BBQ is about your friends, family, loved one's, and good food cooking away slowly. I think that ITV have completely missed the mark and I don't think I'll be watching it after the first episode.
CHokKA
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby wade » 03 Aug 2015, 09:53

Although this is not quite the BBQ that we are passionate about I think that it may do a reasonable job in encouraging the average home griller to try to be more adventurous. Yes, I agree that the format was rushed and the time given to prepare things properly was inadequate - however even if it gives people the confidence to try new things it will be a good start in spreading the word. At the end of the day though it may still still be up to groups like us to get people introduced into the benefits of the low and slow side of BBQ.
wade
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby aris » 03 Aug 2015, 10:31

I'm fairly certain there will be a low-and-slow challenge on this series - in addition to many other kinds of BBQ.
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Kiska95 » 03 Aug 2015, 13:22

Hey guys,

Just back from the 2015 UK SMF weekend and full of beans (literally). What a great 2 day experience and all free!!!! Yep all food and teaching free, couldn't believe it, they even cooked for the campsite all for free!!!!! They cooked masses of food in just 1 day (take not BBQ champ).Honestly guys You should have a look over at the Smoking Meat Forum (UK and US) it might just open your eyes.

I digress so I decided to watch BBQ Champ with an open mind. Now I am with Wade on the fact that although it is topical for this time of year and as Qing is becoming vogue in the UK, anything that promotes the subject of good BBQ has got to be good. Mind you B & Q and Morrison's et al do their thing every year to promote BBQ so nowt new there. As they say any publicity is good blah blah..........................

Faced with 8 of the "best" home BBQers in the country I sat down with a glass of Shiraz to be enthralled. To be honest it was a heffing Joke!!!!!!!!! Produce your signature BBQ dish that describes you they said............................ Salt crusted Sea Bass WTF! It got best first challenge? that's like going to a fishing contest and bringing up a bike wheel and winning heaviest catch!!!!!

The outdoor challenge ................ How many comments of "I have never cooked with Lamb before" and these people are the best???? best at what?????? Or on the one on one challenge "Your BBQ challenge dish will be.... Salmon?????? Its a BBQ for gods sake so give them meat; very unfair for the contestants

Well OK its a BBQ and you get salmon, what's your best bet.......? make crisps out of the skin and serve raw, really??? I honestly cant see people dashing to Asda for a side of salmon to make skin crisps for the kids can you? It only takes 12 minutes to cook salmon, quick marinade and few oak pellets on indirect coals and you have a winner :D why was is it so hard after all they are the best?

And what's with the noncey preeesentation on a plate? Its Meat its a BBQ its not meant to have wilted scallions and a bone sticking out of the a ground made up of noodles and shoots to emulate Jurassic pork!

Bless them but they just didn't have enough time, at least on GB bake off they knew they needed hours to prepare a dish so why not with BBQ Champ????? The cowboy was getting the idea but he was a bit rawhide! LOL! yet I think he came first overall for raw chicken? switched off when our guy who served "raw salmon" as part of a BBQ dish got kicked off ha ha!

And where was the health guys when they started making pork sausage outdoors in that heat??????

They must have paid Richman a fortune to accept this and who was the guy with the teeth? I will watch it for the laugh but its not exactly going to encourage to any potential serious BBQer's now is it?

I hope none of these folk are wanting to run or have their own businesses as their cred will be well down :cry:
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby TakingtheBrisket » 03 Aug 2015, 17:49

Kiska95 wrote:Hey guys,

Just back from the 2015 UK SMF weekend and full of beans (literally). What a great 2 day experience and all free!!!! Yep all food and teaching free, couldn't believe it, they even cooked for the campsite all for free!!!!! They cooked masses of food in just 1 day (take not BBQ champ).Honestly guys You should have a look over at the Smoking Meat Forum (UK and US) it might just open your eyes.

I digress so I decided to watch BBQ Champ with an open mind. Now I am with Wade on the fact that although it is topical for this time of year and as Qing is becoming vogue in the UK, anything that promotes the subject of good BBQ has got to be good. Mind you B & Q and Morrison's et al do their thing every year to promote BBQ so nowt new there. As they say any publicity is good blah blah..........................

Faced with 8 of the "best" home BBQers in the country I sat down with a glass of Shiraz to be enthralled. To be honest it was a heffing Joke!!!!!!!!! Produce your signature BBQ dish that describes you they said............................ Salt crusted Sea Bass WTF! It got best first challenge? that's like going to a fishing contest and bringing up a bike wheel and winning heaviest catch!!!!!

The outdoor challenge ................ How many comments of "I have never cooked with Lamb before" and these people are the best???? best at what?????? Or on the one on one challenge "Your BBQ challenge dish will be.... Salmon?????? Its a BBQ for gods sake so give them meat; very unfair for the contestants

Well OK its a BBQ and you get salmon, what's your best bet.......? make crisps out of the skin and serve raw, really??? I honestly cant see people dashing to Asda for a side of salmon to make skin crisps for the kids can you? It only takes 12 minutes to cook salmon, quick marinade and few oak pellets on indirect coals and you have a winner :D why was is it so hard after all they are the best?

And what's with the noncey preeesentation on a plate? Its Meat its a BBQ its not meant to have wilted scallions and a bone sticking out of the a ground made up of noodles and shoots to emulate Jurassic pork!

Bless them but they just didn't have enough time, at least on GB bake off they knew they needed hours to prepare a dish so why not with BBQ Champ????? The cowboy was getting the idea but he was a bit rawhide! LOL! yet I think he came first overall for raw chicken? switched off when our guy who served "raw salmon" as part of a BBQ dish got kicked off ha ha!

And where was the health guys when they started making pork sausage outdoors in that heat??????

They must have paid Richman a fortune to accept this and who was the guy with the teeth? I will watch it for the laugh but its not exactly going to encourage to any potential serious BBQer's now is it?

I hope none of these folk are wanting to run or have their own businesses as their cred will be well down :cry:

Emma is one half of bunch of swines, one of the uk's best teams competing in Europe and the US. They also do very successful pop ups. Simon is cyderpig on here and he's a bloody good Qer too, joining up with hammer n tongs at the grillstock comps. Yes the format was shite and people do mess up but doubt these two's credentials
TakingtheBrisket
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Kiska95 » 03 Aug 2015, 18:19

Well that's a Bit of a surprise. Yes the timing format was against them I admit but they had to know that? Even they said they could have done a lot better so nuff said Past creds to one side people only remember the mistakes that's life. I really Hope it gets better for their sakes
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby aris » 03 Aug 2015, 19:46

CyderPig has 'previous' - he was on Dine With Me (and served pulled pork).
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

PreviousNext

Return to Barbecue News