Some tips on grilling with wood

From pizza ovens to log filled pits, this is the home for all things wood fired!

Some tips on grilling with wood

Postby PremiumWood » 10 Nov 2014, 12:26

Hey everyone,

As I've been working in the firewood business for quite some time now and I'm also a huge BBQ lover myself, I've decided to share some tips on grilling with firewood. Hope you'll find it useful.

1. Always use dried (or seasoned) hardwood logs like alder, ash, oak or birch. Avoid using softwood logs like pine or fir, because they produce more smoke that can spoil the flavour of your food, unless you specifically want to achieve a smokier taste.

2. Give the fire plenty of time - 45min to an hour - to mature and burn down to embers. Then rake the glowing embers underneath the grate. As with BBQ coal, the deeper the pile, the higher the heat.

3. Always keep a glass of water or a bottle of beer nearby, not only for your refreshment but also for putting out small fires that can occur when the fat in your meat starts melting onto the embers.

4. Also all of you may already know this, but don't forget: Red meat - more heat, poultry and fish - less heat.

Cheers!
PremiumWood
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Some tips on grilling with wood

Postby stretchie_ » 11 Nov 2014, 11:55

Cheers ears, I am looking at getting a delivery of wood for the winter and I can request all oak, so I can take logs for the wood burner or for the smoker :)

But also want to try grilling too
stretchie_
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Re: Some tips on grilling with wood

Postby Chasing blue smoke » 06 Oct 2015, 01:44

PremiumWood wrote:Hey everyone,

3. Always keep a glass of water or a bottle of beer nearby, not only for your refreshment but also for putting out small fires that can occur when the fat in your meat starts melting onto the coals

a spray bottle filled with water or duel use apple cider vinegar for fire and food
Chasing blue smoke
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Wood Fired