Buying advice Gas BBQ

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

Buying advice Gas BBQ

Postby jimfdowning » 26 Apr 2016, 12:22

Hi all

Im looking for some advice before buying my first BBQ :D
I just know Im going to get slated for wanting a gas one, but for us I think
it's the best option.

I dont want to spend too much either :cry: as it will only be used maybe a couple
of times a year and have a budget of £200 or below.

Ive been reading reviews and cant make my mind up :oops:

Can anyone please help me, let me know what the best value, bang for buck, gas BBQ is?

Thanks for your help

James
jimfdowning
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Buying advice Gas BBQ

Postby Tiny » 27 Apr 2016, 15:02

Hello Chap,
No pillorying here for wanting to cook on Gas, it works well for a quick and easy thing and is still tasty.

Sadly though I think you ask the impossible, most of us here have a problem, we are BBQ anoraks.....One chap used to have a great tag line "I fear when I die my wife will sell my BBQ gear for what I told her I paid for it"In short we have all spent too much money on BBQ over the year so will not be fully genned up on the budget gas grills out there.

I can say I have had 2 outbacks and they have both been great value and lasted well functionally if not aesthetically and also owned a gas CADAC carry chef deluxe which was really fun to work with.

I would encourage you to read the threads and see if we can tempt you to spend a little more and then perhaps your useage ratio will increase. For example a 4 burner with hood and warming rack can allow you to slow cook a joint indirectly with a foil pack of chips over each burner to give an authentic smokey flavour, same set up and a piece of salmon on a tray cooked indirect. Fire up the burners to extreme and if you have invested in a grill with cast iron grates then a steak or seared chicken breast is cooked in minutes, in short if you position your grill right and it is good enough then firing it up 3-5 times a week in the summer isn't as mad as it sounds.....love to come home from work sit in the garden with a cup of tea, audio book or the criket on, fire up the beast and cook the main event whilst Mrs Tiny prepares superfluous elements like Salad.....

Don't think of bbq as an massive party that needs planning and 2 days to recover from the hangover, its just a way of life.....

Double your budget Outback 4 burner or an Weber, happiness shall be yours,
Cheers
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby jimfdowning » 27 Apr 2016, 16:36

Thanks for getting back to me.
Ive taken on board what you've said and currently looking at an Outback Spectrum Hooded 3 Burner
can get one for about £200 on ebay.
What are you thoughts on that model? it doesnt have a side burner but its no problem doing onions and such in
the kitchen.
JIm
jimfdowning
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby jimfdowning » 27 Apr 2016, 16:57

The other one Im looking at is the Fireplus 4-1

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FirePlus-4-1- ... Swo0JWG536

Whats are you thoughts on this model? :D
jimfdowning
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby essexsmoker » 28 Apr 2016, 09:55

At the risk of sounding rude (sorry in advance ), they will all be much of a muchness for that price.

One thing I would say is make sure you have vertical front to back burners not side to side. You will struggle to create a cool area otherwise.

You want at least 4 burners really. B&Q have one for 179 I think. Looked OK for the money. Heating rack too ISTR.

Good luck with whatever you get.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby aris » 28 Apr 2016, 19:52

Make sure spares are available. Burners are the first thing to go - even stainless ones.
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Return to Barbecue Reviews