BBQ Guru Party Q

Found any hotstuff that you want to tell people about, heres the place to do it!

BBQ Guru Party Q

Postby sleepybones » 20 Jun 2016, 14:06

Apologies if this question has already been asked/ answered, I did a quick search using some keywords but didn't spot what I was after...

Considering getting a BBQ Guru Party Q for my WSM 57 but am worried about ash blowing onto my food?

Do any of you guys have any recommendations or suggestions re: the product, setup etc?

Last Friday was a looong night and I need to get more sleep on these overnight cooks lol.

Thanks peeps :)
sleepybones
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: BBQ Guru Party Q

Postby Toby » 20 Jun 2016, 14:09

you dont have to worry about ash, its not a fierce fan, its just designed to control the temp.
Toby
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby sleepybones » 20 Jun 2016, 14:15

That's great, thanks. Is there any particular quirks to installing that I should be aware of or just crack on?
sleepybones
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Kickback » 20 Jun 2016, 17:19

Assuming it fits the same as the cyber q which I expect it does you just use a screw to fix the fan connector through on of the vent holes and tape up the other holes in that vent. Takes 2 mins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kickback
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby sleepybones » 21 Jun 2016, 10:03

Cool, thanks for the info, sounds fairly straight forward, I think I'll ask wifey to get me one for b/day.

I've already added nomex gasket to all of the seams on my WSM so air management is fairly controlled. I just want to be able to nod off without constantly waking up worrying about temp variations, especially as I'm now starting to buy more expensive cuts of pig and cow :)
sleepybones
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Kickback » 21 Jun 2016, 17:37

I had the first go with the cyber q this weekend and it was a success. It certainly took the stress out of temperature control and was certainly cool being able to check and change temperature from my phone. Only downside was the fan seemed to take a long time to bring the temperature up - I started smoking a brisket at 190 and wanted to up it to 225 after a few hours but it took around an hour to do that which surprised me.

I also initial made a school boy error of hooking the grill temperature probe under the brisket so I got a false low reading due to the meet temperature bringing it down. Still live and learn!

Kickback
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby sleepybones » 21 Jun 2016, 21:23

Kickback wrote:I had the first go with the cyber q this weekend and it was a success. It certainly took the stress out of temperature control and was certainly cool being able to check and change temperature from my phone. Only downside was the fan seemed to take a long time to bring the temperature up - I started smoking a brisket at 190 and wanted to up it to 225 after a few hours but it took around an hour to do that which surprised me.

I was thinking about how the partyQ would cane the batteries bringing it up to temp. once I have one I think I will open all the WSM vents to bring it up, then only engage the partyQ once the cooker is closer to target. I've never considered staged-temp cooking like you described, I expect I will at some point (will cross that bridge when I come to it) :)

Kickback wrote:I also initial made a school boy error of hooking the grill temperature probe under the brisket so I got a false low reading due to the meet temperature bringing it down. Still live and learn!

I did the very same thing last Friday evening, fortunately the brisket still came out good, phew, could have been a pricey mistake :oops:
sleepybones
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Kickback » 21 Jun 2016, 22:26

Agree with your thinking about bring it up to temp with the vents and then engaging the party q. That should work a treat. They're really good at keeping the temperature at the right level.

Kickback
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 22 Jun 2016, 12:45

They are only small fans and best at keeping temp stable not brining it up, especially on a 57cm. It's a bit of a balancing act between power and overstoke.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby sleepybones » 26 Jun 2016, 20:50

Have just ordered my PartyQ, Universal Adaptor, Kill Plug and 1m of Foil from gocookoutdoors.com

Have asked wifey and fam to chip in towards it for my birthday (amazing value!) lol.

Looking forward to trying it out once it arrives.

:)
sleepybones
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Next

Return to Product Reviews