Uuni 2S

From pizza ovens to log filled pits, this is the home for all things wood fired!

Re: Uuni 2S

Postby Bigpikle » 13 Jul 2016, 21:32

Have been looking at these for a little while and came home tonight to find my lovely wife had taken the initiative and bought a 2s and pellets for my birthday 8-)

Built it tonight and gave a test fire up and it looks superb. Day off tomorrow so its pizza night and time to try it in anger for the first time. I hadnt realised it comes with a peel in the box but as I have a couple already I hope I can get a bit of a fast production line going for the family now.

Just need to find a cheap source for pellets. I'm also thinking that if I'm now on pellets then it seems only right to get a GMG smoker as well doesn't it? :twisted: :twisted:
Bigpikle
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby fleagle » 15 Jul 2016, 05:05

Excellent review and has made my mind up to get one.

Regarding the pizza sticking to the peel. I roll my dough out on a floured surface and move the pizza all the time when putting on the topping so it doesn't stick then onto a metal peel which has some semolina on it. As you did a bit of blind baking first gets round this.

20 mins after writing the above one is now on order so should get next week for the weekend so after that I'll post a review.
fleagle
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby aris » 16 Jul 2016, 23:35

I found you had to add a scoop and give the hopper a bit of a smack. Also wait about 30 secs to a minute between pizzas.
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby PyroBoris » 18 Jul 2016, 15:14

well - got the scales out on Friday as I fired up the Uuni to try out some sirloin steaks!

I think the avg scoop is around 50g of pellets, and I think it took about 7 scoops to fill the hopper for starting, and about 18 mins to get to a point I felt it was ready to cook - my ET733 nor Thermapen go high enough to check the oven is up to speed.

Anyway, per the steak link I posted previously, I put three steaks directly on the metal base of the Uuni (I removed the pizza stone) - DON'T DO THIS... cold steaks and hot thin metal is not a good idea :o . Luckily the Uuni is OK now!

I pressed on regardless! Each steak was a 10oz relatively thick sirloin, I initially did 2 mins per side, and then an additional minute again per side (I wasn't being particularly exact at this point). Anyway, the steaks had been dried with paper towels as much as possible, and seasoned only after cooking. They came out med. rare and were very tasty, but there was room for improvement. The oven doesn't half crisp up the beef fat though...nom nom

Am now looking for a 12 or 13 inch cast iron plate, or possible a thick steel plate. This will hold the heat a LOT better when cold/room temp steaks hit the metal. Also, next time I'll dry the steaks out for longer in the fridge. In addition I recommend setting the hopper to it's highest setting, add some extra pellets and find an implement to tickle the pellets, spread them out and get the oven even hotter.

Also, get yourself a 3mm hex/allen driver - this makes chimney removal soooo easy!
PyroBoris
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby gavinbbq » 18 Jul 2016, 22:42

I've just pulled the trigger on an UUNI and can't wait to try some wood fired pizzas
gavinbbq
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby PyroBoris » 26 Jul 2016, 09:06

remembered to take some photos!

and I can confirm that blind baking your bases days/weeks in advance and then defrosting them, works! And it speeds up the pizza cooking process considerably. It's not quite as good using fresh dough on the day, but it's not far off and enough of a time saver on a school night with hungry clan members to feed!

:D
PyroBoris
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Previous

Return to Wood Fired