First big cook - help / advise needed

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

First big cook - help / advise needed

Postby bobsy852 » 04 Jan 2018, 11:54

HI everyone,

Having done a couple of smaller cooks on my new Weber Smokey Mountain (52cm) that I got about a month ago. Both cooks were pork butts (first to season the WSM, the second was for a boxing day party when I smoked 3 butts at once).

With both these cooks having been a great success, and me feeling more confident about controlling temps, I'm now planning a big smoking party at the start of February and really would like to cook the following:
1 x full brisket
1 x Pork butt
2 x racks of ribs (1x baby back + 1 x St Louis)
1x whole chicken

Obviously these things all take different amounts of time to cook but I plan on holding temps about 250F (121C).
Will I be able to fit all that on my WSM at once?
If not, I want to plan which meats I'll cook first and pull off the grill first (probably the brisket & pork butt)

Thanks,
Rob
bobsy852
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: First big cook - help / advise needed

Postby Alan68 » 07 Jan 2018, 22:11

Hi Bobsy852
That's allot of food. I would consider the brisket and pork as you said and then add the ribs mid way - if you plan to wrap or not (the meat) ? Get the ribs on and possibly go with 3-2-1 method on the ribs - chicken last (beer can chicken)
Always get your brisket and pork off and get then well wrapped in foil and towel and get them into a clean empty cool box and they will stay warm in there for a good 6 hours as they are so big- gives them all a good chance for those juices to mingle. Also gives you a chance to get anything else cooked and not be rushing or worried your food isn't ready. As soon as you unwrap that brisket and pork it will be fantastic. Having your ribs & chicken finish together. Your guest will love you and your WSM. If you want to add a bit at the end is peppers filled with soft cheese and wrapped on bacon cook along with your chicken and ribs.
https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?54518- ... pped+bacon
Good luck - let us know how you get on.
Alan68
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby bobsy852 » 08 Jan 2018, 09:25

Thanks Alan,
That was more or less my thinking as I don't think it'll all fit on at once! haha I thought I'd be OK having bought the biggest WSM available, but just 3 cooks in and I'm already short on cooking space!

I wasn't planning on wrapping either the brisket or the pork during their cooks as I've done 3 pork shoulders now and all came out perfect when left unwrapped so I'm hoping for a similar result with the brisket.

I've ordered a 9-10lb brisket from my butcher (not anything special like Wagyu or anything as I didn't want to spend too much in case it goes wrong. I've heard the brisket can be quite difficult to perfect) so I'm expecting that to take 14-16 hours?
I'll put the pork shoulder on with 12 hours to go then pull them both off 6 hours before we all want to eat and wrap them following your advice!

Then the chicken & ribs both at once (chicken on lower grill rack) for the last 6 hours! Fingers crossed I can manage all that! :?
bobsy852
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby Alan68 » 08 Jan 2018, 14:21

Sounds good
I have only cooked on the big WSM a few times, I stick to the 18" and the wee 14". Be very interested to know how you do.
I am planning a brisket this time off when I am home so will give you a shout and let you know what I did.
Have a look at the virtualweberbullet web page - same great advice on there too.
Alan68
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)