Regional Rubs

A place for all your seasonings and sauces.

Regional Rubs

Postby ConorD » 26 Feb 2013, 21:13

Got myself a few racks of spare ribs to have a practice with this weekend (I've been looking to practice St. Louis'ing them up as well). I wanted to try a few distinct regional rubs and wanted some advice. I was planning on at least two of the following and have 5 racks to work with (or 5*St Louis racks and 5*Rib Tips);

Chicago ( I liked to try one without Paprika)
1/4 cup light brown sugar
2 tbsp. kosher salt
1 tbsp. chili powder
2 tsp. ground black pepper
1 tsp. cayenne
1 tsp. dried sage
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. dried bay leaves (powdered up)

Memphis
1/4 cup paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 tablespoons fresh ground black pepper
1 tablespoon cayenne

Kansas (Memphis plu the following)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder

Carolina (Kansas plus)
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons ground cumin
1 extra tablespoons chili powder

St Louis (Kansas plus)
1 table spoon of dried mustard

Any others that I should look at?
ConorD
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Re: Regional Rubs

Postby Pecker » 27 Feb 2013, 10:28

Are you talking about competition barbecue, or....dare I say it...fun? :D

If it's the former, then start with the classics and tweak to your own style.

If it's the later there are absolutely loads of cuisines out there with flavours you can adapt to a rub for ribs or anything else.

Just a couple of examples - cajun and jerk. Some of these are wet rubs, some dry, but in most cases you can adapt them. For example, you'd usually make jerk seasoning as a wet rub from spring onions, ground all spice, hot chillies and thyme. But it's easy to see how you can adapt this to a dry rub for ribs by simply replacing the chillies with chilli powder and spring onions with onion powder.

As ever, do a bit of googling, and experiment.

Steve W
Pecker
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby ConorD » 27 Feb 2013, 21:42

Pecker wrote:Are you talking about competition barbecue, or....dare I say it...fun? :D

Yup just for fun as I wanted to lay on a selection for a few mates over beers. The jerk one is definitely worth a go.
ConorD
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Swindon_Ed » 27 Feb 2013, 22:00

I'd also suggest making a Chinese style rub just using some brown sugar and five spice powder and then finish the ribs off with a hoy sin & honey glaze.
Swindon_Ed

Postby Pecker » 28 Feb 2013, 10:49

ConorD wrote:
Pecker wrote:Are you talking about competition barbecue, or....dare I say it...fun? :D

Yup just for fun as I wanted to lay on a selection for a few mates over beers. The jerk one is definitely worth a go.

The jerk one - some of the shop bought ones are absolutely excellent. Dunn's River and Walkerswood are superb, and if you look at the ingredients they're all natural.

The Dunn's River is my personal favourite, and the contents listed are just (from memory) all spice, scotch bonnet chillies, thyme, scallions (spring onions), salt and maybe garlic - nothing else at all, no preservatives, e-numbers, colourings, etc.

Or just make your own.

But warning, boy is it hot!

Works best with chicken, but is fine with pork, including ribs.

Steve W
Pecker
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby ConorD » 28 Feb 2013, 22:01

Like the idea of the Chinese one and will try making my own jerk one. Pics to follow.
ConorD
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Tiny » 01 Mar 2013, 20:06

Chaps
This thread set me thinking, what is the best British rib rub? Cider marinated then sage and onion powder?
Some kind of mustardy affair?
Arich porter and worshestershire sauce glaze?

Perhaps a Scottish alternative will be to batter and deep fry them LoL!

Welcome some thoughts.....
Cheers Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Pecker » 02 Mar 2013, 10:10

Tiny wrote:Chaps
This thread set me thinking, what is the best British rib rub? Cider marinated then sage and onion powder?
Some kind of mustardy affair?
Arich porter and worshestershire sauce glaze?

Perhaps a Scottish alternative will be to batter and deep fry them LoL!

Welcome some thoughts.....
Cheers Tiny

I suppose a traditional British rub for pork would include sage and onion powder. Not sure how you'd get sugar in for the bark. I'll have a think.

A slight aside, I've previously done pulled pork sarnies with sage & onion stuffing, and whilst being quite different, I'd say that's at least as nice if not nicer than with any barbecue sauce and/or coleslaw on it.

BTW, back to the rubs, here's a thought. Have you thought of doing the ribs without any rub at all, or just a bit of s&p. If I got hold of some really good quality wild boar ribs I think I'd want as much of the flavour of the meat as possible.

Steve W
Pecker
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby keith157 » 02 Mar 2013, 11:45

The sugar isn't a problem we've been importing it since Elizabethan times (the first time around) so it's traditional. Or failing that we've grown sugarbeet for thousands of years.

As to S&O with pork it's a given especially at a Hog Roast :D so I'm with you on that 8-)
keith157

Postby ConorD » 05 Mar 2013, 07:30

BTW, back to the rubs, here's a thought. Have you thought of doing the ribs without any rub at all, or just a bit of s&p. If I got hold of some really good quality wild boar ribs I think I'd want as much of the flavour of the meat as possible.

I have done beef ribs without anything but a little S&P and they were awesome. I took quite a scientific :geek: approach to the last test batch and had a control rack with nothing at all on them. They were still lovely but preffered the rub'd ones.
ConorD
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Next

Return to Rubs, Marinades & Sauces