Offsets so what is the point?

The place to hang out and chat about anything and everything that doesn't fall under our other categories.

Re: Offsets so what is the point?

Postby Toby » 26 Apr 2015, 19:01

Sorry I always post what is obvious to some for first timers that may stumble across the thread
Toby
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mike.read » 27 Apr 2015, 20:33

offset over vertical, it was simple, its what i could build with what was laying about..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
mike.read
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Tiny » 27 Apr 2015, 20:57

Mike,
Best answer I have had so far, jez get your point on why you would import the animal and I guess your real why is an source of the fuel. Personally still strikes me that upright is best.....or in my case pellet burning is very bestest......stunned by the quality and results from my GMG.....but then bbq is like fried chicken or sex.......
Cheers
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby YetiDave » 28 Apr 2015, 06:26

I don't really see the point either; it seems more of an image thing to me. Heat rises - keep it at the bottom. I can't imagine how much of a hassle it'd be to maintain 325F with an offset in winter, to smoke some chicken :shock:

If our climate were predictably in the 20C range for most of the year then I'd try one, but really they seem like more effort than they're worth. YMMV!
YetiDave
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby jez2775 » 28 Apr 2015, 08:25

Heat does rise, but it also has to travel to an exit point, such as a chimney at the end of an offset chamber. The smoker I've opted for also comes with a heat management plate to help push heat and smoke along the cooking chamber.
jez2775
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby mike.read » 30 Apr 2015, 17:27

Bbq, fried chicken, sex, sounds like a party lol :lol:
mike.read
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 30 Apr 2015, 19:58

Given the choice I'd go for a cabinet style. They tend to be very efficient if built correctly. To me the smoker wouldn't make much difference it's the wood and meat that counts. Save the money and import a load of usda prime. :)
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby silverbrow » 02 May 2015, 21:41

Jez, interested to hear more about the Yoder.
Why did you go for it rather than say a Lang?

Have been contemplating an offset and realised that importing is really only option. Haven't been able to find a decent fabricator over here.
silverbrow
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby YetiDave » 04 May 2015, 13:25

Aye heat does have to travel to an exit point, but why waste the heat going that way, in our climate, when you can just have it go straight up? :|
YetiDave
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby jez2775 » 04 May 2015, 14:30

I didn't realise that purchasing an offset was going to be so divisive!

Silverbrow, I looked at getting an offset from Lang as well as Yoder, as Ben Lang has a really good reputation (as do Yoder). However, trying to deal with Lang from the UK proved to be problematic to say the least, although from their point of view when they are doing such good business in their home market why waste time dealing with someone overseas that may or may not make a purchase from them. Yoder proved to be incredibly easy to deal with, have an excellent product most importantly, and price wise were pretty competitive, certainly more so than a number of UK based fabricators i spoke to.

YetiDave, not sure what climate has to do with heat movement and transfer, if you can maintain a good fire with consistent temperatures what's the issue with heat moving sideways as a pose to upwards? Additionally, I would say a lot of people use a WSM (I have one myself), in which heat travels upwards, however if you need to add fuel you need to open the door which is above the level of the fire, so losing heat in the process. At least with an offset if you need to add fuel you're not losing heat in the process.

Hope that answers a couple of questions!
jez2775
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

PreviousNext

Return to Anything Butt